Thursday, September 24, 2015

Pax and Throw-backs




Seems this big week of the Pope's visit has turned ecumenical for me on more occasions than one. 

Sister Carol Ann Wassmuth from St. Gertrude's Monastery in Cottonwood came to town yesterday to talk with Presbyterians and other denominations about Benedict and her Benedictine Monastery.

Bill has known Sr. Carol Ann for years, through their common forestry interests.  Plus, the local Presbyterians have maintained a warm relationship with the Sr. Carol Ann and the other nuns at the monastery for several years, even attending retreats there. 

Bill's congregation has been exploring other religions during a Wednesday night series.  It took me a minute or two to recognize that gentleman sitting near the door who had spoken to the group on another occasion about the Morman religion.

It's been a long time since I've seen Steve Roos.  He left Sandpoint High, enjoyed a career and has even written a book or two since my last sighting.  My thought last night was that he sure looks a lot like his dad Wayne who stood behind the Sandpoint Post Office window for so many years.  

Anyway, I enjoyed some time spent at dinner with Sr. Carol Ann, Sharon Anderson, Judy Labrie and Bill last evening.  And, I enjoyed her talk about the history of her monastery and Benedict himself.  

He stressed that at the end of the day, all conflicts should be resolved to allow peace to prevail.  He also believed that the peoples on this earth, despite their many differences and interests, could live peacefully.  

Seemed like a reflection of some of what I've heard throughout the week.  Sometimes that goal is easier said than done, but it's certainly always worth some effort. 

After dinner at Trinity, I visited the ladies' room, with camera in hand, not planning to take photos BUT when I opened the door and saw a former student at the vanity, I couldn't resist.

Nicole is not only a former student but also a teacher at Farmin-Stidwell with my sister Laurie.  She told me that she's off to a great year with her students and colleagues.  

Not too many bathroom shots for me, but this was a fun one. 

And, since this is Throwback Thursday, the shot of the lady in purple below is a fit.  I hadn't seen Barb Fairlight for a long time until last night's Presbyterian gathering.  Barb used to teach with me at Sandpoint High School.  

She says she's still teaching English through North Idaho College here in Sandpoint.  We always enjoyed some great discussions during our time in the faculty room, and I enjoyed our brief visit last night. 

Finally, another throwback.  That's my cousin Patti, riding in my mother's golf cart at first cousins' ladies gathering a few years ago.  One of our stops during the day was my mother's house in Colburn.  

Mother was so excited to see her nieces and almost too excited when she asked Patti to join her in the golf cart.  That enthusiasm got the best of her when she wasn't exactly careful while maneuvering the cart around my cousin Mary's car.  

Mother never had a clue that she had scratched and scraped the car, and none of us had the heart to diminish her joy that day.  Let's just say Cousin Mary was not sharing her joy.

A good memory of a fun time.  My cousins are all getting together in Seattle this weekend, but because of so much on the agenda, I'll pass on this gathering.  I'm sure they'll have a blast if past reunions are any indication.

Got a friend coming to pick up poop today----that would be our barnyard gold for her gardening needs.  She said the last time she hauled any of that stuff, our dad Harold loaded it for her.  

So, it's about time, I guess.  

The morning ahead?  Watching the Pope and loading the poop.  What a combo!  

Finally, our Cindy Wooden was quoted this week in a Washington Post article, regarding the seven kinds of people who travel with Pope Francis.  Cindy is part of the "Vat Pack." 


Happy Thursday. 




Cousin Patti, riding shotgun in my mother's golf cart.  You can fill in the blanks!

No comments: