Thursday, October 15, 2015

Love, Family Time, Roadside Attractions, Pink Icons at the Icon




Since it's Thursday Throwback, I was thinking about the Kootenai postmistress's offer the other day to get me a slab or two of LOVE stamps.  

So, I pulled out the family Bible, where back in 1984 after it was given to us by Sheila Navratil, I started collecting LOVE stamps and inserting a couple of samples each time the price went up the the design changed. 

In some cases, I must have purchased stamps for different uses cuz I don't think a normal stamp when I started collecting was ever as low as 8 cents or up to 55 cents. 

I'm hoping to live long enough to fill up the whole page, and I'm wondering how much the price will rise by that time.  When that happens, I'll just turn the Bible over to Annie and she can keep up the LOVE tradition. 

While I was looking through the Bible, our Family Time Video card fell out.  I think there might be some good stories associated with this card, but I'll have to check with Willie and Annie cuz I think they used it a lot more than I did. 

The store used to be quite the going concern in town. Twould be fun to read some memories of others who patronized the place. 




Twas a last-minute decision, as most of my horseback rides are, but yesterday's ride through the woods and down our road on Lily topped all others.  I think I keep saying that, which is good.  

That means Lily is getting more reliable all the time.  About time at age 10!

She still thinks that if she turns her head back and looks at me, we can turn around and go back home.  Unfortunately, for Lily and, fortunately for me, the ploy never worked.  

We made it almost to the other end of South Center Valley Road before turning around.  

I don't think I've ever felt so relaxed on Lily, so much so that I could concentrate on snapping photos with my cell phone as we passed by pastures and pretty sights along the way.  

It was definitely a great day to saddle up and enjoy the ride. 




Taylor's feeder calves at the Lockwood place are becoming Lily's friends.  I think she'd like to get inside their pasture fence and do a little herding. 














My favorite photo of the morning.  Only way to term it is iconic.  I know a lot of those guys and most folks who know me know that Cliff 'Wild Irishman' Irish is one of my favorite people in Sandpoint.   

Long, long ago, one evening Cliff, his buddy Jim Jasman, a teaching friend and I laughed ourselves silly at the Middle Earth Tavern on First Avenue in downtown Sandpoint. 

In the late '60s and early '70s Jim Pucci's watering hole and sandwich shop was THE place for the young folks to hang out.  Those Middle Earth sandwiches were the best, and I don't think I've tasted one that's come close to their quality ever since. 

On that night, my friend and I had gone to the Middle Earth to have a beer.  Cliff and Jim joined us, and I'm thinking the stories were flying a lot faster than the beer was flowing. From that day forth, Cliff, who can tell a story like no other, remained on my list of "favorites."  

Years later, I wrote about the Three Name Lounge in my second book, and, of course, included Cliff, who used to always drive his logging truck through the Fourth of July Parade and then stop in the parade route to grab a quick one at the Tam (short for Tam-o-Shanter) aka Tavern, Tervan. 

As you can imagine when I saw Cliff among the group of "real" men who wear pink IN FRONT OF and probably INSIDE the Tam, I couldn't resist posting the photo.  What a wonderful hometown reminder of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. 

Cliff, and the Pretty Boys in Pink, you've done yourselves proud!

No comments: