Saturday, October 17, 2015

Saturday Slight


For the third consecutive morning, a cold, somewhat fierce wind is scattering leaves all over the place.  We've been dealing with three-four-layer cold mornings followed by warm afternoon sheds---usually down to one layer. 

Ironically, we've had very few freezes for this late in the fall.  Such unusual conditions for North Idaho and more is expected as some weather prognosticators are saying we could have another relatively open winter around these parts. 

Guess we'll know for sure in March or April how accurate they are. 

For now, another beautiful week has passed, and next week isn't looking too bad either.  

In the day ahead, Bill plans to do some forestry work in the woods, and I'll be taking in a few scheduled events.  One involves a drive out to Cocolalla.

Actually, I took that same drive yesterday because I wanted to know the exact spot where History Day would occur at the community's one-room school house/community center.  

A lot of my adventures are on the north side of the lake/river, so it takes a little advance work for many venues south of the bridge.  Plus, I had a nice visit with the office staff at Southside School while seeking my ultimate destination. 

I had seen a flyer for History Day at the Cocolalla one-room school house a week or so ago, and found it intriguing, especially because of a story assignment for next spring involving the area one-room schools. 

Cocolalla folks have done a lovely job at keeping up their school, which, according to history notes was built in 1907, after the local children had attended school in a railroad car on the nearby tracks. 

I'm really anxious to learn more today.  

On my trip, I also saw a barn's back side that looked pretty neat and some pretty views of Cocolalla Lake.  

North of town, Schweitzer was looking magnificent from a North Kootenai Road view and the other mountain scene was taken from a road which gains elevation above a rather hidden housing development off HWY 95. 

As I made my way up that road, I saw a beautiful mama and baby moose pair in an opening.  Sadly, they had moved out of picture view when I passed by on my way down the hill. 

Today's schedule also includes a visit to Sunnyside for a morning gathering honoring the memory of my friend Jo Hawkins, and there's a day-long open-house/barbecue designed for visiting with a friend who has moved back to Sandpoint. 

"All in a Day" is looking fun for this Saturday, and with luck, when we're back to one-layer dress this afternoon, maybe I'll climb on a horse. 

Gotta enjoy all these nice weather extensions because the moaning and groaning of North Idaho gray will come soon enough. 

Happy Saturday.  And, as the three-day family birthday string begins, Happy Birthday to our niece's hubby Sefo. 















No comments: