Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Advent





With the turning over the calendars in the house this morning, I had two things on my mind:  it's Advent, the season for the coming of Christ, and it's December, a busy, busy month. 

Trying to blend the two in positive, meaningful ways is always the challenge, as we get so caught up in all the "to-do's," that we sometimes forget the main reason we're up to our ears in all those "to-do's."

As a Catholic with an inferiority complex (have been most of my life), I always seem to fall short in the religious expectations of Advent----at least the ones we learned in the rule book. 

Still, like most people, I figure that all we can do is our best in the best ways we know how. If we take the teachings of Jesus and apply them in practical ways on a fairly consistent basis, I think both Jesus and God would approve. 

Part of that involves acceptance.  It's an easy word to define but not so easy to practice sometimes.  With most of us the practice comes through practice and maturity.  

I think back on how narrow and unaccepting my views were regarding anyone different from me when I was younger. They pretty much mirrored what I heard around the dinner table. 

As time went on, and I journeyed on to a life which took various twists and turns, most of which involved meeting all kinds of people, I found myself accepting aspects of the world outside my little circle that never would have been welcomed through the door before. 

My philosophy is that we don't have to practice all the stuff we see in this world that doesn't quite match up to the way we lead our lives, but as long as it's not causing harm to me or others, respect it. 

I have my set of values.  I pretty much stick to them and feel comfort in the way they guide me through life.  Other people come from different circumstances, which obviously will lead to their seeing and living their lives through different lenses. 

If we all thought the same, dressed the same or conducted our daily affairs and lifetime events the same, I think things would be pretty boring.

Diverse views and practices only help us to grow and certainly do make life more interesting.  

Another teaching of Jesus or, at least what I've seen through most of my life, falls in the generosity and giving category.  

Some people give lots of money either openly or behind the scenes.  Some are wealthy; some are not.  

Their generosity, however, usually makes a monumental and meaningful difference in others' lives----lives of people who really do not need to know the socio-economic status of their benefactors. 

These beneficiaries simply know and appreciate that there are people out there with the means who make significant positive differences in this world, thanks to their generous and thoughtful natures.  

I know a few of those, and I believe they truly perform works, behind the scenes or publicly, that would make Jesus smile.

Other people give of themselves or of their time.  When I see my busy, busy daughter-in-law almost always saying "yes," when asked to share her talents or her time to yet another good cause within this community, I know exactly why everyone loves Debbie Love. 

Like many of my busy, contributing friends, my former students and acquaintances involved in so many of the good works within Sandpoint, Debbie exemplifies the teachings of Jesus virtually every day of the year.   

This type of generosity and giving of oneself can never be measured in dollars and cents, but the impact it has on others in priceless. 

I have a feeling Jesus would applaud kindness also.  Those isolated moments in our lives when we give a smile to someone who could use one or a call or a visit or even just a helping hand to someone we meet at the grocery store-----all of these serve as daily reminders that Jesus' teachings are paying dividends. 

I also believe that Jesus would highly approve of our caring for this earth and for all the creatures that inhabit it.  

That's where I feel a little less like a Catholic with an inferiority complex and a little more like a good steward.  I have talents and passion for the earth and animals, and I strive to do my best virtually every day.  

Still, there's plenty of room for improvement as there is for any of the pursuits where we try to follow Jesus' teachings. 

Did I mention buying Christmas gifts?  Well, yes, like so many others, I get caught up in that too. Twas the way I was raised, and it's a part of our family culture as is baking Christmas cookies to give to neighbors.  

Seems we always go back to aspects of our own value system, and if giving out the calendars every year with dogs or cats or fish or horses is a part of the plan, I do it. 

One of the great gifts I receive every year (not necessary this year from the benefactor who's a new papa) is a funky, fun calendar from a former student.

Every time I look at that calendar or turn it over to the next month, I think of him and smile.  I bet Jesus does too, especially because this young man is full of good works which certainly make a difference in this world. 

So, as Advent begins, we know it's a season, but it's also nice to think that thoughts and deeds associated with the season can last every day all year long, even when we don't have far too many "to-do's" on our list. 

Today's "to-do's" include more Christmas cards, another batch of cookies and puppy duty, not in any particular order.  

By the way, I think Jesus would really like some time spent with Liam and vice versa. 

Happy Tuesday.  

  


No comments: