Sunday, December 13, 2015

Rainy-Day Walk


I spent most of the day inside yesterday.  It was that sloppy outside, which meant a perfect opportunity for holiday baking and for watching sporting events---as well as keeping my eye on a couple of indoor dogs. 

The dogs were great; in fact, Little Liam is fast becoming Larger Liam (advanced two holes already in his collar)  AND he's learning to waste no time taking care of business outside.  

Yesterday marked his first "perfect day" in the potty department.  No messes, no puddles to clean up. 

While doggies played in the living room or took extended naps, I peeled apples for our ZAGfeast dessert and made a batch of coconut, butterscotch bars.  Both turned out well. 

While working in the kitchen, I watched most of the Army-Navy game as well as the final minutes to a few basketball games and the inspirational Heismann presentation program. All three candidates had wonderful stories. 

Bill spent most of his Saturday working with some landowners on their forest plan, and when he returned, I announced that I needed to get out of the house ALONE.  

I've done my share of walking lately with the dogs, but regardless of how well things are going, one does crave an opportunity for some solitude.  It was definitely that time for me.  

So, Bill watched the pups, and I took off for a pleasant walk down Selle Road with my camera. It felt good to walk at my own pace on an unlimited stroll as opposed to the stops, starts, quick turns, leash dancing and untangling from those busy, darting puppy legs. 

During this time of the year, a gloomy, rainy day does not exactly present a smorgasboard of marketing images for beautiful North Idaho, but I still appreciated the scenes while walking to the Selle railroad crossing and back. 

On my arrival back at the driveway, my horses, with their late-afternoon intense stares and whinnies, hinted that they sure would like to go to the barn 

Slop days are never fun for horses, especially when they've been confined in the barnyard because the pastures now need their winter's rest.

Once Lily and Lefty were inside the barn and other chores were finished, it was time to prepare the spread for the ZAGfeast and the big game with UCLA.  

We knew it was going to be a tough one.  It was. The ZAGS lost.  Still, it was intense and exciting clear to the end.  

What's going on with the ZAGS at this point in their season reminds me of similar experiences I had during my teaching career.  As much as we'd love to see it, the perfect mix does not come along every year in any classroom or organizational situation.  

And, when it becomes apparent that we're not working withthe perfect mix of talent and/or chemistry, we teachers/mentors or coaches need to evaluate the situation and make adjustments for the best possible results.  

From my experiences, I do believe that everyone learns and grows in the process when these situations occur. 

And, when it all comes to an end, there's often a lot more satisfaction to be gained because of the challenges we overcome.

Of course, in teaching situations, we did not have thousands of fans hoping for or demanding perfection at every turn.  Still, we had our pride and did our best because we were working with young people who are a "work in progress."

Though I hate to see the ZAGS lose, I admire the Gonzaga program and the people associated with the great phenomenon which has provided us so much entertainment, pride and joy over the past several years.  

The ZAGS and their coaching staff will make it through this funk, and will, no doubt, become more solid in the process. GO, beloved ZAGS!  

Meanwhile, on the Nashville front, Annie flew in yesterday afternoon, attended a geocaching event where she found her first geocache in Tennessee.

Then, she wasted no time moving on to the Grand Ole Opry where she scored a seat in the front row, so close to Ricky Skaggs that she thought his sweat might drip on her. 

This morning, she wrote me a note and told me I'd love it.  Yup, she's right. 

Back at the Lovestead, if it stops raining today, I'll try to put up my outdoor Christmas lights.  

The indoor display this year will be a table top grand fir which Bill selected at Crowell's Christmas trees yesterday.  It will probably go up today, after which doggie duty is sure to intensify.  

Aw, the fun of puppies.  Wouldn't trade it for anything cuz the addition of Liam has provided us a whole new dimension of fun and puppy love. 

Happy Sunday! 












Annie's front row at Ryman Auditorium in Nashville last night. 

Ricky Skaggs at the Grand Ole Opry

No comments: