Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Wet, Warm and, Soon, Wild Winds . . . .




Even in pouring rain, if there's a squirrel to watch, Kiwi's there.  For some reason she was watching from afar yesterday.  

Probably the squirrel was scooting from tree to tree, so Kiwi used her reasoning skills (something very prominent with Border Collies) and figured it best to sit back where she could watch all the tree action, not just one.

She's 10 years old, but she still amazes me with her IQ.  This morning I was wondering why she still held on to the pine cone in the barn while I was cleaning stalls and coming over to the shavings pile where she had plopped down, cone in mouth.

Kiwi refused to let me have the cone, so I moved on to scoop up a shovelful of shavings. The second I had finished spreading the shavings in Lily's stall, Kiwi dropped the cone, finally allowing me to throw it down the aisle.

What was I thinking, anywho?  Of course, I could not throw the cone in the midst of a task. 

Dummy, wait until the task is completed for cone-throwing time. 

It's scary when our dogs know more about what we're doing, how we do it and when we do it than we do. 

Bottom line, I guess, is to be sure to have a Border Collie around when I reach the full-blown CRS stage of my life. 

For now, I just remain in awe and try to maintain the proper schedule for doggie play as opposed to doggie work aka eyeing the minute-by-minute habits of all creatures over which you conduct surveillance----two-legged and four-legged.

While Kiwi kept an eye on the squirrels outside, I kept an eye on the pups inside.  

They were able to spend a good portion of the morning racing through the yard and some of the fields, but drying off two soggy dogs every time they come into the house is not something I like to do numerous times a day. 

So, Foster and Liam helped me read a book by snoozing at my feet, and they generally played with their toys indoors.

We have received abundant rainfall over the past few days and will continue to receive more.  

Today that snapdragon that's been hanging on to life next to the deck might just burst into a proud bloom, as we're supposed to reach 55-plus degrees.

Tomorrow it may blow away because another wind storm is due----gusts up to 50 mph. Strange behaving weather seems to be more the exception than the rule, and I'm betting that really conflicts with Kiwi's wish that everything should follow precisely the same routine, day in and day out.  

The nice part about all the rain is that I'm catching up on the workload inside the house: cookie baking, Christmas cards, marking off items on gift lists and reading former student and Clemson professor Keith Morris' new book Travelers Rest (set for release Jan. 6, 2016). 

There's a similarity to life here at the Lovestead in Keith's latest novel but a slight difference.  Instead of rain, rain, rain, there's snow, snow, snow and even more snow falling in Goodnight, Idaho.  

And, that's playing havoc with the family who pulled off I-90 for a night's rest.  Since entering the hotel, they've all lost track of each other for days, and things have gotten rather strange through all the falling snow. 

Keith has put together a fascinating read with his fifth book, and that's good because right now it's providing me a great distraction from the wet, wet, wet of Sandpoint, Idaho. 

Happy Tuesday.  GO, ZAGS tonight when the Montana Grizzlies come to the Kennel!  6 p.m. PST on KHQ or Root. 






One final note:  Annie and some of her geocaching colleagues flew to Juneau, AK, Saturday and returned Sunday.

They wanted to find some Alaskan geocaches and check out the local scene.  Seems that they covered a lot of ground and had an equal amount of fun, including the Red Dog Saloon.

Annie's headed to Nashville for an overnighter this weekend---more geocaching and visiting the Grand Ol' Opry.  Tough life but someone's gotta do it.


No comments: