Friday, December 02, 2016

Seasonal Silence, Ah!!



I don't know who is more excited---Bill or I.  Both of us had first thoughts this morning about the Subaru.  We can go to Anderson's Autobody and bring it home today after it sat a month in the driveway with its injured headlight and fender.

It will be nice to have the car to drive again.  Immediately after picking it up, I'll go to Tracie Finney's annual Home for the Holidays Christmas Craft Show. 

I have to pick up some items from my friend Kari and will most likely take a tour through the colorful vendorville at the Long Branch.  That's what Tracie has named her venue, which is beyond festive, inside and out.

Should be a fun Friday as we get together for our usual Friday night with family.  

Yesterday's first day of Advent turned out to be fun too, capped off by another big ZAGS win last night. 

I enjoyed a fun visit with Dr. Grace and Susie, our vet and vet technician who came to give Lily another of her series of flu shots.  

Then, it was off to the Bonner County Heritage Museum to purchase a book, recently released by my fellow writing friend Jenny Leo aka Jennifer Lamont Leo.  Quite often, if I don't have time or do not want to take on a writing assignment, I just send 'em to Jenny who is a phenomenal writer and editor. www.jennyleo.com 

Well, earlier this year, she has published You're the Cream in My Coffee, a Roaring Twenties novel, set in Chicago.  It's been a busy year for me, and I'm just now getting a chance to check out her book.  For potential readers, here's a www.amazon.com summary:  

In 1928, Chicago rocks to the rhythm of the Jazz Age, and Prohibition is in full swing. Small-town girl Marjorie Corrigan, visiting the city for the first time, has sworn that coffee's the strongest drink that will pass her lips. But her quiet, orderly life turns topsy-turvy when she spots her high school sweetheart--presumed killed in the Great War--alive and well in a train station. Suddenly everything is up for grabs.

Although the stranger insists he's not who she thinks he is, Marjorie becomes obsessed with finding out the truth. To the dismay of her fiancé and family, she moves to the city and takes a job at a department store so she can spy on him. Meanwhile, the glittering world of her roommate, Dot, begins to look awfully enticing--especially when the object of her obsession seems to be part of that world. Is it really so terrible to bob her hair and shorten her skirt? To visit a speakeasy? Just for a cup of coffee, of course.

But what about her scruples? What about the successful young doctor to whom she's engaged, who keeps begging her to come back home where she belongs? And what, exactly, is going on at the store's loading dock so late at night?

Amid a whirlwind of trials and temptations, Marjorie must make a choice. Will the mystery man prove to be the cream in her coffee--the missing ingredient to the life she yearns for? Or will he leave only bitterness in her heart?


Unfortunately, Jenny and I missed each other, as I arrived much earlier than her usual time to volunteer at the museum on Thursday afternoons.  So, I left the book for her to autograph.

My trip, however, did not disappoint.  It's truly amazing what the staff of Olivia, Cameron and Heather, along with volunteers, have done to transform the museum AND I only visited the lobby. 

I'm planning a trip sometime next week with my camera because I've been told that the exhibits are amazing and that the rest of the building has a whole new look.  Three creative ladies are blending their skills and passions to enhance the appearance and the offerings of our local museum.  

I'm looking forward to my camera tour.  Good job, ladies!

After spending a few minutes on the walking path overlooking the Pend Oreille River near Memorial Field and returning home, I decided to start a new routine for Liam----taking him on his own for walks in places other than the Lovestead.

I'm figuring that eliminating the distractions of what other dogs are up to will turn out to be a good experience in his ongoing training and our bond.

So, off we went with Liam wearing the EZ walk collar.  I finally decided on the Trout Creek Wildlife Management area off HWY 200.  When we arrived two other women had taken off down the north trail with half a dozen or so dogs of different sizes and breeds.

With that in mind, Liam and I headed south on a mown trail, eventually coming to the river shore. 

The silence of the area was "deafening," as they say, but peaceful and fulfilling. It's nice to get away from the somewhat disturbing "noise" of our outside world these days.  Plus, it was pretty neat to see Liam's ever-busy nose checking out every scent possible as we moved through the area.

He was a good boy, and it was obvious that he enjoyed himself as much as I did.  

As long as weather allows and some good walking areas remain, I intend to take Liam into some more seasonally silent areas.  Tis good for the soul, especially during these uncertain times. 

Happy Friday. Enjoy the photos. And, do check out Jenny's book at the museum or at a local book store.  














No comments: