Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Wednesday This and That






Besides, his proud parents and siblings and extended family, we're figuring two of Jacob Laumatia's family members to be especially proud.

Great-Grandma Virginia Tibbs, a talented artist, surely is smiling from above to see the artwork of her great-grandson, a student at Coeur d'Alene Charter School,  who won first place in a contest promoting this year's Arbor Day.  

The best part: next month Jacob's winning entry will be walking around in the form of a sticker with a host of fourth graders from three school districts.

Yup, Virginia Tibbs has to be proud to have another artist in the family, as is Jacob's great-uncle Bill Love, the forester.  Bill appeared quite pleased when I showed him the picture last night. 

Back when we first moved to the Lovestead and when the triplets were pretty young, Bill guided them through planting a seedling here on the place.  Plus, every year for several years, he took them to our God Tree to sign the Lodgepole Log.  



Jacob climbing the Lovestead "God Tree" a while back with one of his sisters. 


Over the years, their signatures improved significantly from the original hen scratching of 2006. Sadly, the tree no longer stands, but I'm sure, as Jacob suggests in his artwork, the memories of that great tree will endure. 

Congratulations, Jacob. Keep up the good work. 

Speaking of good stuff, we signed off on our taxes yesterday.  After three years of annual taxation punches to the gut, the tax folks started us on a plan to pay quarterly.

We were on our way home from the airport last Monday when the tax preparers called my cell phone to tell us our forms were ready to sign. 

As always, I cringed and then asked, "How bad is it?"

Turned out to be a refund, which will simply roll over and help with the next quarterly payment.  

We happily signed our forms, and before walking out the door, I retold my story about receiving a similar call from their office three years ago while we were visiting Ireland.

I answered my cell phone at the time because I couldn't imagine who was calling us from Sandpoint.

Twas the tax office  thousands of miles away, reporting that our forms were ready. 

I asked the bad news.  It WAS bad.  

Still stunned, I caught up to Bill who was walking on a trail some distance away from where I happened to be standing when the call came.

After telling him the news that we would be PAYING A LOT, he asked, "Didya tell them you were standing on a cliff?"

I was, in fact, standing on a hillside overlooking the spectacular Cliffs of Mohr.  

Yesterday after my retelling of the tale, the staff member who generally makes those calls looked about as stunned as I had been the day she gave me the bad tax news. 

"I never really thought about what people are doing when I call them, " she said. 

To which I suggested, "If it's bad, ask them if they're sitting down and make sure they're not standing on a cliff." 

After visiting the tax preparers' office, I spent the greater part of my day tending to water removal, especially in the round pen where, if timing is right, Lily will be when she gives birth.  

Most of the snow is gone from that area, especially after some diligent efforts to stomp on it and then rake it.  Probably looks pretty stupid to be out raking snow, but it does melt a lot faster. 

We still have an abundance of water, and its reflections are about the only pretty thing around the place these days.  

Warm temps and no night freezes the next few days should help get rid of snow and water.

Slowly but surely, we're moving toward the pretty seasons, and as ugly as it's been this year, they're gonna be prettier than usual. 

And, finally, Happy Birthday to my "older" friend Ann who has reached a significant milestone today.  I'll have to quiz her on how it feels cuz I'm not far behind. 

Happy Wednesday. 








No comments: