Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Just BEEcuz It's So Bloomin' Pretty







Making up for lost time. That's the story of yesterday here at the Lovestead.  It was true for me and especially true for all the stuff that grows around here. 

Lots of little projects, including holding horses and jawing with John Fuller as he put their shoes on, planting the rest of my taters and 'maters, pulling grass which has shot up in the flower beds several inches almost overnight, filling a new water trough for the dog run and, of course, playing with doggies. 

Twas a banner day for the dogs cuz John left a collection of trimmings from eight long hooves on the ground out by the barn where he does his work.  

Forget the ball!  

When fresh horse-hoof scraps suddenly appear, three dogs dig in, each grabbing their mouthful and running off to a spot where they can chew on the goodies.  Since there were plenty to go around, I heard no squabbles.

As I scrambled around attending to this and attending to that, dramatic stuff was silently happening all around me.  Apple and blueberry blossoms and irises burst open almost with the wink of an eye.  Even a lilac bush has begun to show off its floral delight. 

Twas good timing too BEEcuz those bees, which had been delivered on Sunday, in their hives, next door had descended upon the Lovestead zeroing in on the newly opened blossoms throughout the north lawn. 

Unlike my days of youth, when I pretty much viewed bees of any kind as a nuisance, I have gained a new appreciation for the important work they do, especially since we moved to Selle and where every year the nice bees residing the hives in Taylor's field have come to spend their summer.

These days I view the little buzzers as friends and seldom worry about being surrounded by them.  

As someone in a KREM-TV bee story about the hives at Gonzaga said yesterday, those honey bees may come up close and personal and look us over for a second or two, but when they learn we don't have anything to offer, they move on to the next available blossom. 

Last night I took my camera to the apple trees and the blueberry bushes and spent nearly half an hour just observing and trying to get some decent photos.  

Bees do move quickly from flower to flower, which required me to be on my toes as I focused and tried to click before the subjects flitted onward. 

I've noticed, in all that observing, that this year's honey bees have a slightly different look from those coming from the hives that Chad Moore used to bring to the pasture next door.  
This year's variety is generally darker in color.  

Another little mystery or void in my knowledge involves bumble bees, which seem to be working harmoniously in concert with the honey bees.   I wonder why they all seem to get along.  Maybe a reader can fill me in on those details. 

The bottom line is that a lot of good stuff happened here yesterday, happily minimizing the sad, shocking and disturbing occurrences far, far away from our little piece of Heaven.

Work got done, pastoral beauty came on strong and bees of a different ilk got along just fine. 

Seems too bad that it can't be that way everywhere.  Maybe the bees could teach us all a lesson or two about co-existence. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos, just BEEcuz!

Happy Tuesday. 













































No comments: