Tuesday, December 12, 2017

CB Update








I promise not to bore readers EVERY day with stories about CB, but just three days into his new life, I'm totally amazed at how well he has adjusted. 

And, having my friend Helen send me a video yesterday, showing people hugging many, many species of animals---even fish---I could identify. 

I was hoping to include the video but can't figure out how to get it to play on the blog. 

It definitely brought a smile to my face because I've been doing my own share of hugging since my little Arabian colt arrived in Idaho last Friday.

When I had my first one-on-one encounter with him inside the horse trailer at our friend Nancy's farm, I cradled his head in my arms, talked softly to him and massaged his head and neck for about five minutes while Nancy took her baby Ellie to her new surroundings.

CB seemed to really like that initial attention from his new mom, and since then, every time I've played with him, he's perfectly happy to bury his head in my arms for more loving and hugging. 

The little guy has made a remarkable transition from nursing off from his protective mom at Ravenwood Arabians to holding his own inside the box stall and out in the corral at Tibbs Arabians. 

In fact, I may have to have a chat with him about hogging the grain bucket while his stall mate and buddy Arty stands by and watches. 

CB is a smart little horse, and he's been learning quickly about leading and what "whoa" means and even getting a start on understanding "back." 

Yesterday, he experienced his first sensations associated with wearing a blanket after Arty's new blanket arrived and CB was given the hand-me-down.  Just like with human babies and their clothes, foals grow out of halters and blankets almost with the blink of an eye.

CB's presence has given me a new lease on life.  Actually, I don't think my lease was really running out, but having a new face in the menagerie always adds a boost to one's enthusiasm AND expenses and responsibilities.

All three go hand in hand with animals/pets.  Once we learn, however, that they probably are gonna cost money pretty much all the time and demand our attention every day, we can move on with the true rewards:  enjoyment, love and having our own daily purpose. 

Their needs never end, and that is good most of the time.  Sometimes I even think about life without animals and how easy it would be to just take up and leave on a trip any old time I want. 

Then, I think about what I would do the majority of the year when I'm home, especially in the winter time. 

I would miss them dearly. 

Responsibility for other living beings does add work to our lives every single day, but the fulfillment derived from those daily efforts and all that mutual loving is priceless. 

So, I'm really happy to have a new little horse to hug and to love, along with all the other beloveds around here. 

It's definitely a win-win situation.  

So glad I was born a farm girl. Can't imagine any other life, and after just three days, I can't imagine life without little CB.

Happy Tuesday.  Go hug your cat or your lizard!


1 comment:

Ann said...

So happy for you!