Monday, February 12, 2018

Roadside STOP






Twas too cold to do much outside as Sunday afternoon set in, but Bill noticed that the sun was shining in the southern sky.  

So, we headed on a route which would take us to the southwest part of Bonner County and the northwest portion of Kootenai County.

"Let's go along the Pend Oreille River," I suggested.  At first, Bill countered that suggestion with "Dufort Road and then come back via the river." 

Somewhere between Selle and town, however, he decided to start out on the river route, so we took a back road (the Pine Street loop) down to HWY 2 west of Dover. 

After a stop for gas at the Laclede store, we headed on to Newport and then south toward Blanchard.  While on that straight stretch of HWY 41, I began thinking about people I knew from that area.

For some unknown reason, June Yergens popped into my mind. So, I googled her name on my cell phone and when I found her name and noted that she lived in Blanchard, Bill said, "Yes, in downtown Blanchard."  

"I haven't seen her for at least 25 years," I said, knowing it could have been even longer.  While visualizing June and all those ribbons she used to win on her horses while competing at the old Bonner County Fairgrounds, a very specific and typical memory came to mind. 

June and I rode in the matched pairs class one year on our Palominos.  I split my pants while IN THE CLASS.  Thank goodness for Western saddles which can hide those kinds of things until you find a grove of trees where you can hide and dismount.  

I can't remember if we won a ribbon.  If we did, it was because of June and certainly not me. 

Anyway, I told Bill the story as we drove on toward Blanchard. We took a side road that connects with Saunders Road where the Saunders dairy has now turned into a huge buffalo ranch----white plastic fences and all. 

Eventually, when we returned to the main road and arrived in Blanchard, Bill turned off the highway.  I kinda had a feeling he would be showing me where the Yergens lived. 

Sure enough.  When he did, I said, "Let's turn in and say hello . . . .it's been a long time.  She may not know me." 

So, we did. 

Doug Yergens greeted me at the door and invited me in, telling me June was in the bathroom getting ready to go to a meeting.

"June, there's someone here to see you," he announced as we moved into the main part of their "concrete" home, where June and Doug had lived for years, running a dairy and rearing three children. 

"Who?" she asked from the bathroom.

"I don't know," he said, "some lady came in and said she knows you."

Soon June walked from the bathroom, looking pretty much like the same June I had known back in the 1960s-'70s.  

She studied me for a moment, saying, "I know your face but not your name."  

"I split my pants when we rode matched pairs together a long, long time ago," I hinted. 

June immediately remembered the scene but still not the name. 

We talked ever so briefly and agreed that the infamous horse show class debacle had occurred nearly 50 years ago. 

Turns out June, who's 80, is still riding horses around the area and on trips as far away as the coast. 

The visit was short, but long enough for her to jot down my name and telephone number.  With luck, it may be fewer than 25-30 years before we see each other again.

For me, it turned out to be another of those treasured trips into the past.  We said good bye, Doug came outside with me and shook hands with Bill and then we were on our way. 

Our route then took us a few miles down the road, past a "tiny house" manufacturing place and on to funky and fun Spirit Lake.  

After a quick trip through downtown which teems with fun little restaurants and stores, we drove the road around one side of the lake. 

That was a new road for me, and I had no idea that Spirit Lake extends for quite a ways.  Much bigger than I ever thought.

We came back through town, and if we hadn't had chores to do and dogs in the house, we may have stopped for a bite to eat.  I'll have to put that on the list of "things to do," especially because the first restaurant meal Bill and I ever shared almost 45 years ago was at the Whitehorse Saloon.  

I remember the pot bellied stove with the dog and the hamburger with a big slab of ham.  The place left a distinct impression with me as did the one stop we made in Spirit Lake. 

Yes, it was a roadside stop in between New Hampshire and Massachusetts Street, a few blocks down from "Maine" Street. 

Bill prepared me for an interesting sight up ahead, and when we arrived, I said, "Let me get out, and you can turn around and come back."  

Of course, I was in historic heaven as I walked along this mini-town, snapping photos. 

Someone is creative and clever, to say the least.  We'll have to go back in the summer time, at night when the Christmas lights are on, and then top it off with another one of those "HAM" burgers at the White Horse. 

The rest of our trip followed more back roads, including a brief memory of another person out of my horsin' around past.  That happened when Bill pointed down a road where he said Lottie Jones McClure had lived. 

As always, it was a fun way to spend a blustery Sunday afternoon, one of those Sunday-drive classics, definitely filled with some lovely gems from the past. 

Bill is headed to Bonners Ferry for some forestry work this morning.  

The sun is out.  It's still very cold, but walking pretty much anywhere is an option, so I'll enjoy braving the brisk, fresh air today.

Happy Monday. 






There's hucks on them thar forks and knives. 

















2 comments:

Ann said...

I never knew Blanchard had so much to offer. Makes me want to go there! As "usual" you have a great story and great pics!

Marianne Love said...

The photos are in Spirit Lake. Thanks.