Friday, March 16, 2018

Meltdowns, Birds, St. Paddy's Rules



Gonzaga March Madness Essential Beads


I had a doctor come to the house yesterday before March Madness began.  Twas about two hours before Gonzaga played its first game in the NCAA Tournament.

We did talk aches and pains, but she left with Lefty's saddle, blanket and bridle. 

Her daughter is Terra who took Lefty in 4-H last year, and she'll be doing so again this year. 

So, there were NO doctors in the house when we sat down to watch the ZAGS take on a tough, tough team from North Carolina.  

The game was actually looking pretty good for the ZAGS in the later first half and as the second half began.  

Then, the tide turned.

Though dressed in my usual ZAGS uniform, I realized I had forgotten to clutch my game/prayer beads.  Sensing we were in for a ride, I went to the wall, pulled them down and just held on for the rest of the half.

It suddenly seemed as if the ZAGS had gone on lockdown and that all cylinders were on high speed for the opposing team.  

Their star Francis Alonzo had come alive, hitting pretty much every lay in or 3-pointer he threw.  In the meantime, the ZAGS couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, not even free throws. 

Then, the ZAGS trailed with just a couple of minutes left. I commented to Bill that I just was not ready for spring.  We had too much snow yet to melt. 

Then, I started thinking about how much I was gonna hate the rest of March Madness if the ZAGS lost.  

I also thought about my friend (in impishness) Kim who's headed to Boise today and who was SO excited that she and her boys would get to watch the ZAGS tomorrow. 

"Poor Kim," I said to Bill.  She's not gonna even want to go if the ZAGS aren't in the tournament anymore.

I could feel my outlook sinking into a deep, deep emotional hole, so deep I wouldn't want to come back out for days. I kinda figured I wasn't alone. 

As I thought about all those depressing scenarios, I made myself say silent "Hail Mary's."  

Then, some unknown voice instructed my brain, "DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!"

So, I did.  

I walked over to the wall and took down the rosary from the Vatican, which hangs on a crucifix.  Annie had given me that rosary a few years ago when she visited the Vatican and actually saw Pope Francis. 

It seemed like the only magic pill left, so I came back to my seat, sat down and clutched all three sets of beads.

Almost instantly, the tide turned.  Good stuff happened for the ZAGS, including a phenomenal and essential basket made by freshman Zach Norvell. 

In short, the ZAGS lived to play another day, Kim will truly enjoy her trip to the Boise tournament games, I lived to look forward to that other day, and snow kept on melting. 

I mentioned the doctor who came to visit at the beginning of today's post.  Coulda used her during that time to monitor my heart beat.  

This morning I learned that another doctor had great concerns for my heart during yesterday's game.  He even sent me a note of concern, wondering if my rate had risen above 200. 

I have no doubt he waited until his own heart rate declined before checking on his virtual patient.  

Long story short, the essentials will be in hand tomorrow when the ZAGS take on Ohio State in the second round of the big DANCE.  

I'm sorry that Francis Alonzo received no help from his namesake during that final 90 seconds yesterday, but I'm not one bit sorry that the beautiful rosary obtained in conjunction with seeing Pope Francis helped seal the deal for the ZAGS and all those folks who still want to experience the very real symptoms of March Madness.  

GO, ZAGS!  Keep on dancing!  

                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~

Other March Madness and Meltdown and St. Paddy's News









 Along with the robin, other birds have begun to appear en masse to the feeders and the bushes all over the Lovestead, and it's nice to hear them singing again. 

Bill saw an unknown species on the ground below the bird feeder yesterday morning, and I think I saw it flying away from the same spot later in the afternoon.

We're hoping it will return and hang around long enough that we can figure out just what it is.  Who knows, maybe the bird watchers will have another reason to visit the Lovestead. 







Though March meltdown ain't all that purty, it is proceeding, and the thoughts of spring beauty not being too far off makes it worth the temporary inconvenience.

Needless to say, doggies are getting baths every afternoon before being allowed back into the house. 







Finally, in preparation for tomorrow's big day when everyone turns Irish, I'm sending you to Sarah McLarkey's "Geocaching Junkie" blog. 

Sarah lives in Ireland.  We had the good fortune to meet her last year in Dublin, and I have featured her blog before.

Today she talks about what's true and what's not in Irish traditions related to St. Patrick's Day.  

Enjoy . . . .

https://thegeocachingjunkie.com/2018/03/15/5-saint-patricks-day-traditions-we-celebrate-in-ireland-and-3-we-dont-the-geocaching-junkie/






No comments: