Monday, April 09, 2018

A Patch of Blue; A Worm or Two, Sweet 16 Times 3






Bill probably expected my early-morning rant.  

Like me, he most likely heard the unwelcome pitter patter of yet more raindrops falling on our roof when we arose at OH-DARK-THIRTY, like we always do. 

On this particular morning I had so wished and hoped and even dreamed that, upon waking, there would be no sounds of more rain on the roof and that the skies would be light enough that OH-DARK-THIRTY would seem more like a new and hopeful dawn.

After all, that's what the weather experts had promised us for this Monday after a soggy, miserable weekend.

Not to be.

After hearing my declaration that we're living in Purgatory, Bill experienced the added thrill of my comparing this ugly weather to putting up with Trump---where every day, you think it's gonna go away, only to see it come back with something more outrageous. 

By the way, are we at war with (multiple choice---A. Mexico, B.Syria, C. North Korea or D. Amazon) yet this morning?  

I'm sure by 9 o'clock there will be a new addition to the possible choices of who's done everyone wrong----maybe Stormy.

Seems like that last possibility would be appropriate for the beginning of this second Monday of the month of April which Bill, the fact man, notes has had more days with snow than without. 

All that said, the news is improving----on the weather front, that is. 

I'm seeing patches of blue in the sky.  I DO NOT hear pitter patter on my roof, and window is wide open so I can monitor. 

Worms have risen to the surface, probably for the first time in 2018 here in Selle. 

Bill, the fact man, says that's probably because the ground is so saturated that the worms had to come up for air. 

There's one good thing about that:  the robins are happy.  They can take it easy on the job and give their beaks a break while feeding themselves today.  

I may have mentioned this before, but I feel the need again this morning to note that people who live on farms, especially North Idaho farms tend to get ugly about this time of year.  

It's awful watching your animals slog through the mud to go eat their breakfast and then have to stand in the squishy slop all day as rain continues to produce more mud.  My horses have an open shelter, and I can report that they have used it with regularity the past few days. 

I can remember years ago when late March and early April were the calving times for our small herd of Herefords.  I can also distinctly remember my dad oft repeating year after year, almost always in April, how he was gonna sell out and move back to Montana. 

The mud got to him, much like it does to most anyone involved in any agricultural enterprises. 

And, so here we are in mud season and wishing for an end to come. So, do bear with me in this Monday morning whining session.  

It is getting better, and this too shall pass---we hope!

On the bright side, I've added to my outdoor housing units with the bird house pictured above.  Debbie handed it over yesterday, telling me I won it in the raffle on Saturday. 

So, it has been attached to a post in the garden where I can look out the kitchen window to see if it attracts any activity.   Hope so. 

Also, if the patches of blue become more frequent and the pitter patter stops for more than an hour, maybe we can consider the possibility of bringing little CB home this afternoon.  

We'll just have to see what the mud situation is here and at my sisters' for pulling in and out of driveways with the horse trailer. 

Finally, another bright and stunning note this morning.  I'm stunned, simply because I'm amazed at how fast the time has flown by. 

Sixteen years ago today, our extended family grew by three when Jacob, Justine and Grace came into the world over in American Samoa.  Twas definitely a life-altering experience for their parents Sefo and Laura.

When the triplets were about 2, the family moved to Plummer, Idaho, where they still live.  Jacob, Justine and Grace attend Coeur d'Alene Charter School these days, and their lives are generally filled with one adventure after another. 

I don't think Mom and Dad have any regrets these days as those triplets (plus their sidekick Jade) are definitely leaving wonderful foot prints pretty much everywhere they go. 

And, with the foundation they have enjoyed, thanks to the love of their parents and extended families, these kids are pretty impressive. 

Lots of great and positive foot prints to come in the future, for sure. 

So, Happy Birthday, Jacob, Justine and Grace.  We are proud of you.  

Happy Monday. 







No comments: