Sunday, June 24, 2018

Tidbits on a Pretty Sunday






I love sunny summer mornings after a fresh lawn mowing.  

The walk to get the morning paper is true joy on such days as I admire the completed project involving several hours of sitting on that lawnmower, batting away bugs, ducking under limbs which like to snatch my hat off and watching out for the "stalkers."  

Yes, two stalkers live here at the Lovestead.  Their names are Foster and Liam.  

During this year's lawn mowing season, the two have collaborated on developing a strict lawn mowing observer routine, and their plan works like clockwork every time.

First, it's the mower start-up where they gather round, lunge at the mower, wildly paw at the deck---sometimes clawing my lower legs---and, all the time, letting out high-pitched desperate YIPS.

This goes on until I have the mower started, only to intensify.

Occasionally, a passionate Liam nips at the rubber shield protecting outside forces from encountering the rotating blade while both dogs are circling the mower at high rates of speed. 

Fortunately, all this crazy doggie action does have a "stop" button. The second I engage the blade, dogs leave and retreat to wherever they plan to stalk me for the upcoming session of mowing. 

I seldom see them through each mowing segment.  I think this is the "clandestine" portion of the routine where they feel it is better not to be seen as they watch and listen to the mower and my every move.

I have learned to prepare for the end game in each lawn mowing segment because I know company will be coming from hiding spots, the second I turn off the mower. 

This part is much more fun that their behavior when I climb aboard the mower. This time, they trot to wherever I happen to be, with happy faces and wiggly bodies, all primed for a few seconds of loving. 

No desperation at the end, just rewards for both me and them that this session has ended.

I may go inside for a cup of coffee.  When I return for the next portion of the mowing program, the doggie routine begins anew.

And, yesterday, I noticed that Liam is adding some new features to his participation. 

Apparently, I spent too much time inside.  While sipping on my coffee, I started hearing well-timed barking outside. Wondering if someone had come in the driveway, I walked out the garage door to see Liam next to the mower.

Liam was barking for me, much the way he does in the mornings from the garage when I don't come out to play on Liam's play-time schedule. 

Now, I guess, my mowing breaks will be timed, and just as Lily does when she needs to get back to the pasture, when time's up, Liam will let me know. 

Anywho, yesterday meant several mowing sessions topped off by doggie loving, and this morning, as I look at the lawn, it's all worth it. 

Yesterday was also the day that many, many people said good bye to a friend.  Don Albertson had to have been pleased with the numbers of people who flocked to the church on Colburn-Culver Road to honor his memory. 

We saw the group pictured below just as we got out of our car. There's a new Sandpoint High football coach, Ryan Knowles, a former Sandpoint High administrator and his wife, Larry and Debbie Jacobson, there's Bill Love, and there are Ryan's parents John and Janice Knowles.

Don's funeral was superb, except for the beloved song by Vince Gill, "Go Rest High Up by That Mountain."  

Technology, as it often does, suddenly attacked the song within the first verse.  Within seconds Vince's beautiful voice sounded like a child's singing at lightning speed. 

Twas awkward and uncomfortable, to say the least, as the music continued to deteriorate.  

But wait!

Earlier Tom Albertson had made a big deal about April Fool's Day during his eulogy about his dad, noting the occasional telephone calls about the "cows getting out."  

Sometimes, such uncomfortable moments call for action. 

"That's Don playing an April Fool's joke," I announced.

I'm pretty sure all was well from that moment on as folks did laugh.

And, I'm also pretty sure I may not have been too far off as Don had probably already gone high up on that mountain where the cows won't get out and knew the situation needed a touch of humor.

I like to think it was divine intervention.

Anyway, a great friend and a good man had a wonderful send off.   We'll miss you, Don. 






Finally, since it's mid-afternoon in Portugal, I have a feeling the folks, pictured below are well into their 21-mile first day of the Portuguese Camino. 

That's Annie from Seattle, Maurice from Philadelphia, Craig and Laurel from Seattle, Justine from Plummer, John from near Drogheda, Ireland, and Rachel from Seattle. 


Their destination today is Vila de Conde, and their ultimate goal:  reach Santiago de Compostela in Spain on July 3.


For those who wish to follow their adventure, Annie will be providing highlights on her blog:  https://adventuregirlannie.com/

Wishing them all the best of experiences. 


Happy Sunday to all. 








No comments: