Thursday, July 19, 2018

This and That and TBT's



Some mornings I'm never quite sure of what's gonna show up on the blog. This morning was one of those, even though I had a few ideas. 

Well, as life unfolds each day, so do distinct themes that go along with whatever seems to be happening at the time. 

Now that I know what's gonna be on the blog, I can maybe use the word "vintage."  

Love that word because in my mind it connotes one of my favorite aspects of living:  remembering the past. 

Nostalgia is a key ingredient in my bag of reasons to get up every morning.  The bag is pretty full with lots of other things, but I can guarantee that the assortment of past memories takes its share of room.

So, today's post has brought my mind alive with smiles and fragrances and good memories of a few folks very appreciated within my circle.

Let me start out with the link below.  If I were dedicating the contents of this post to someone else who dearly loves nostalgia AND creates it with her talent every day, I would name the lady featured in the Daily Bee story. 

Congratulations once again for one of our community's finest artists for the much-deserved recognition she is receiving with this year's Festival at Sandpoint. 

My friend Judy Pederson brings back the past exquisitely through her paintings of barns and rural scenes.  You can read more about her latest achievement in the story.  

Judy, I hope you enjoy today's blog as much as so many of us enjoy your artwork!

http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/lifestyles/20180719/bridges_to_the_festival


Reading Judy's story in the morning paper launched the nostalgia theme. 

I also loved reading this morning's Bonner County History "50 Years Ago" column, especially the part about Karen Evans, the "bridal-elect" who was honored with a wedding shower. 

Karen has been a faithful reader of this blog, so, of course, this history note is essential for today's focus. 

Later, coming upstairs and seeing a photo posted to my Facebook page further enhanced the vintage idea.

This posting also inspired another theme among the photos:  first horses/first horse experiences.  

My friend, family member and former student Monty Collison was on a nostalgia kick when he posted the picture of him, his ribbon and his mount Sassy on my wall. 

Monty has moved on as a highly respected horseman who competes and wins at the national level. 

Sassy, a cute little Appaloosa mare, provided other young people some of their first horse experiences, including my sister Laurie (Sassy was her first horse) and daughter Annie. 

There's a lot to be said for those reliable, beloved equine pals which stand prominent in the memories of horse lovers.  Sassy certainly earned her medals in the kids and horses hall of fame. 

And, then there was Tonka.  She was a big Appaloosa mare our family purchased from the Hawkins family.  Both my son Willie and my brother Jim had some memorable riding experiences on Tonka. 

Because I've witnessed another youngster having the time of her life with her first horse experiences, I've included Lefty among the circle of beloveds.  Every day of watching Terra and Lefty learn together has only magnified the wonderful bond I see between the two. 

Interestingly enough, a few years ago, another young lady spent many hours riding Lefty while he was stabled for a month in Spokane where Monty trains and teaches riding. 

That young lady named Madison has moved on from her early horse experiences with some wonderful achievements.  

There's a photo of her on Facebook all decked out with a collection of championship awards won at a regional horse show last weekend.  Congratulations to Madison.

And, to all of the above, as well as a couple of my sisters who can tell their own share of first horse stories (was it Queenie, the pony, Barbara?)-----I hope these photographic memories bring back some fun thoughts for each of you. 

That's precisely what I love about nostalgia.  

It's such a rich and satisfying ingredient for us to savor as we continue to move through the phases of our lives.  

Mighty fun to look back and see where and how we began our individual journeys. 

Happy Thursday. 

























No comments: