Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Color Me August






Judging for the Bonner County Fair begins today.  

And, it's gonna be hot. 

This year the fair staff sent me a letter stating that I would be judging fermented beverages. 

I was kinda excited about that because it's almost for certain I got fired the first and last time I judged that category. 

That was a few years back, and my judging gig that day was kind of a fluke.  I was just about finished with whatever assignment I had that year when the fair director asked if I could help with the fermented beverage category.

Why not, I thought.  After all, it was a bit late in the afternoon. 

So, I joined two gentlemen and a lady superintendent, and the tasting began.  

I think the key to my getting canned (thankfully not fermented) happened when I commented a particular exhibit of white wine.

"This tastes like crankcase oil," I freely announced---with absolutely no past experience at drinking crankcase oil. 

One of the other judges agreed with my assessment, but his critical comments were noticeably kinder. 

Twas when we learned that the wine had been brewed by the superintendent sitting with us that I got the first hint that my opportunities to continue as a fermented beverage judge had been cut off at the pass. 

I still gripe to the authorities about how anyone who has entered an exhibit should be NOT be sitting there with a position of power while the judges are making their decisions.

The same thing happened with photography one year.  

I've learned to take more care with what slips from my lips.

For some reason, this year the powers-that-be decided that I'd done my penance and could come return to the fermented beverage judging ring in good standing.

Well, guess what?  I'm NOT going to judge fermented beverages this year after all. 

Turns out the new crew running the fair scheduled that judging session for 8 a.m. Wednesday morning.  As much as I enjoy a glass of wine, 8 a.m. is hardly my cup of tea for sipping wine. 

A latte, thank you.

The director offered to change the judging to an afternoon time and later I learned that all the open class judging had changed to Wednesday afternoon. 

In the meantime, the 4-H director asked me to judge 4-H photography.  Doesn't matter what time of the day it is--I always enjoy looking at photos. 

And, that judging begins at noon today, so I said yes.  Later, I told the other administrative staff that they could probably find a willing person to take my place as the beverage judge.  

They said they would, so today, no sipping---just thumbing through record books and looking at photos.  

Amazingly, with the summer we've had, I think the fair produce and flower section should be better than expected. It's not often that tomatoes are ripe in August, but we've enjoyed several fully red samples already. 

Cukes are coming on like hotcakes, so I'm assuming folks will have a lot of garden products to show off this year. 

It's a colorful time with the perennials, and last night we enjoyed the tastiest ever garden dinner of salad, baked potatoes and steak.  

The other day Debbie came over and picked a dinner's worth of goodies for her dinner menu. 

It's good times, for sure, but we're bracing for a major heat event where on Thursday (same night Bill and I go to a bluegrass concert at the Festival) the thermometer is expected to rise to 103.  The extreme heat begins today and finally tapers off Friday night. 

So, the next few days is gonna be a challenge for both animals and humans. 

Hope all concerned can find ways to stay cool and still enjoy all those August activities. 

Happy Tuesday. 












Debbie, the Food Bank lady, with a basket of fresh garden goodies for her own kitchen. 

To my friend Shiraz:  the first English cucumber is growing every day as the vine continues to climb the fence.

And, every morning while watering, I sample one or two of those delicious cherry tomatoes.

Can't wait to try out the cuke.  Thanks for adding a couple of nice touches to my garden.  


Finally, it's not the prettiest picture in the world, but in this shot, CB is eating his birthday breakfast.

The little guy is no longer little; in fact, he's as tall as Lefty and just as loved.

Happy Birthday, CB. 





No comments: