Monday, September 24, 2018

Scenes at a Country Swimming Hole, Et. Al.






No particular theme in these photos today---just out trying to take in every aspect of autumn as its characteristics of color and quiet peacefulness reach their height. 

It's amazing how one cold night can change the perspective pretty much anywhere in dramatic fashion.

I've watched it closely in our yard this year, and have had no problem surmising that today looks a lot different from yesterday. 

My afternoon travels yesterday took me down Selle Road, along a side road, to the much beloved Pack River swimming hole and a short way down Gold Creek Road. 

I even took time to park the car at the popular swimming hole on Colburn-Culver Road---partly because I could and mainly because I could enjoy the place to myself.

Quite a contrast from just a few weeks ago when anyone but the most punctual of swimmers needed to park nearly half a mile away.  

During summer drive-by's and quick glances toward the river, pretty much every time, I could see the place was crawling with recreationalists spending time sunbathing, swimming or launching their river craft for a trip down the Pack. 

In the summer, one must snatch quick looks at the shoreline and river activity to ensure safe driving through the maze of vehicles and humans, coming and going.

Yesterday, the living beings included just a merganser and me.  

While the duck peacefully floated up and down the river between the sandbar and the shore, I walked through the sand, wishing the sun would hurry up and reappear from behind a big gray cloud above.

That urgency, however, in no way interfered with my blissful enjoyment of the gift of supreme solitude in that lovely place where the bustle of beach activity has passed on for another year. 

Eventually, the sun reappeared on my walk back to the car, I snapped some photos and went on my way while the merganser probably cheered, knowing it once again had the place all to itself. 

A great outing, indeed, and definitely a daily staple for this camera-clicking nature lover.  

Happy Monday. 

   

















I met these nice folks yesterday while out taking photos.

They were performing a civic duty along Gold Creek Road when I met them.

We had a nice get-acquainted visit.  Then, I went my way, and they headed theirs. 

Soon after my departure, I think a retired paint horse and two minis were enjoying some garden treats.

Great to meet you, Mike, Gail and your California cousin.
  





No comments: