Monday, November 12, 2018

A Pleasant Taste of Winter






If we could have weather like what we're experiencing right now, I would never complain about winter. 

On the grand scale of likes and dislikes about seasons, these past few days and those yet to come would top the charts of likes in my mind. 

It's dry, cool and crisp with a dusting of snow to accent the dull colors of late fall, along with easy walking pretty much everywhere.  

It doesn't get much better than that, as far as I'm concerned. I think I'm not alone with that assessment.

Stuff can get done, both inside and out, and that's pretty much what happened around the Lovestead as well as up and down South Center Valley Road this weekend.

After finishing up a batch of jelly yesterday (blueberry/raspberry yum, yum mix), I did something I haven't been able to do for a long time.  

I went for a walk up our dirt road.  

Busyness of past weeks and months has put a major dent in such opportunities.  So, I embraced the open moments and enjoyed myself every step of the way. 

Along the way, I met my classmate and neighbor Gary Finney who was out improving the position of his paper box.  

We talked briefly and that included gossiping to Gary about the new neighbors who are moving into the Butler place down the road where retired educators Dan and Debbie lived for 30 years. 

Turns out the new neighbors are the same couple I interviewed for the current Sandpoint Magazine feature "Natives and Newcomers."  

https://sandpointmagazine.com/issue/winter-2019/

Amber Trost Prins, a local optometrist, has deep roots in Bonner County.  

Her grandmother Louise Bandy and I were in 4-H together, and, her great-grandmother Leora was much beloved by pretty much any of us that grew up through the rural ranks of Bonner County.

I told Gary I found out Saturday when Debbie, Emma and I paid a brief visit to Amber at her upcoming new home that I also have known her grandfather forever through the Bonner County Fair.  

That discovery took place as I walked, with camera in hand, out toward their barn (built in the late 1800s) and one of the guys working on the structure immediately south of the barn took off his sunglasses.  

Yup, Tim Carey did know me, and as soon as those glasses came off, I knew him. He's from Priest River, and he recently retired from serving on the county fair board. 

For the next few minutes, reminiscing about old times down at the old fairgrounds next to City Park went viral as Tim and I visited in that crisp Selle Valley air.  

Anyway, Gary, who also served on the fair board, told me that he would plan to go down there to the new neighbors and introduce himself after Amber and her hubby Greg (a local dentist and Walla Walla native) move in. 

While I was enjoying my walk and snapping a few photos, Bill was enjoying some quality chain-saw time down in the woods.  After arriving home, I took Kiwi on leash to the woods to visit with Bill.  

Kiwi had a rough weekend, but she seems to be bouncing back from problems resulting from her ol' lady difficulties of not being able to get out of bed. 

Bill and I have since remedied that, and it's made all the difference.  Of course, Kiwi loves that cuz she's getting spoiled.  And, we're enjoying the opportunity to spoil her. 

In the meantime, the horses are now just going to pasture to do a little nibbling cuz I'm feeding them twice daily now that we've had some snow. 

Again, I must refer to the perfect weather, which is especially perfect for horses who like to stuff their bellies and then lie down for a nap and some quality sunshine soaking.  It's great to see them so relaxed. 

All that said, this morning, I'm quite happy to use the word "copacetic."  All is certainly well here, and I'm hoping we can say the same over the next few days. 

Happy Monday, and welcome to the neighborhood, Amber and Greg!






















No comments: