Thursday, February 21, 2019

Marian: Memories Are Cherished







Marian Ruyle


                   
SHS Alma Mater
~~~


To Sandpoint High

We sing to thee

You're worthy of our praise.

We proudly wear your colors fair. 

To thee our voices raise. 


The memories are cherished 

That you have given me.

So, Alma Mater, Sandpoint High, 

We pledge our loyalty.

             --Marian Ruyle





Educator, musician, orchestra instructor, wife, mother, grandmother, community and church participant, Woman of Wisdom honoree, loyal and good friend, overall venerable and honorable citizen and great example for all who knew her.

~~~~~

A few of my personal "cherished memories" of my teacher, colleague and friend, Marian Ruyle, in no particular order:

While waiting for my bus after school, watching Marian and her colleague Mary Parker walk to Mrs. Parker's car to head home.

I think the car belonged to Mrs. Parker.  For a long time, I didn't think Mrs. Ruyle knew how to drive. 
 ~~~~~

Talking too much in Latin class one day, probably to Marilynn McKenney who sat near me.  

 Mrs. Ruyle abruptly stopped her lecture (probably on Caesar), looked directly at me and asked,

"Would you like to teach the class?"

"No," I meekly responded.

Enough said. 

No more talking in Latin class.

~~~~~~

A lifetime of constantly relying on those Latin lessons (later adding Greek to the mix through Word Clues).  Probably some of the most valuable learning ever for me. 

Receiving National Latin test certificates AND then there were those among us who won the coveted trophies.

~~~~~~

I always considered Marian and Art Ruyle as one of the genteel couples in Sandpoint.  

Bill always considers Art Ruyle one of his first friends in Sandpoint.

~~~~~~

Working with Marian Ruyle as a fellow English teacher at Sandpoint High School.

Speaking of that, I worked with her pretty much my entire career. 

After Marian retired, she came back to the high school and worked in the library. 

Not sure if my facts are right, but I'm betting she may have worked at Sandpoint High School longer than just about anyone. 

At least 50 years! 

~~~~~~
We lost one of Sandpoint's finest when Marian passed away in Sandpoint this past Tuesday at age 98. 

Her talents and dedication as an educator and music lover touched hundreds and hundreds of young people and fellow musicians through the schools, her First Presbyterian Church and North Idaho College. 

In addition to her many accomplishments, Marian wrote the Sandpoint High School "Alma Mater."  

I believe she also did the same for her alma mater, Coeur d'Alene High School. 

In short, Mrs. Ruyle, you are, indeed,

 "worthy of our praise."

A few examples posted on Facebook:

from Mike Brown:  For the benefit of Sandpoint High School Class of 1962 Classmates. Mrs. Ruyle was my teacher for Latin, English, and Orchestra. 

She was one of a kind...one of the best! Bon voyage, Mrs. Ruyle! What an incredible woman!


From Sandpoint High Class of 1959:  Dear, dear Mrs. Ruyle, You were responsible for starting an orchestra at the high school those many years ago in the innocent 1950's. 

Your love for music and your musical talent shown through every day. What a blessing for so many students who were introduced to music by you. Thank you for all you gave to your students.

From Sigrid Thompson Brannan:   Good bye and God speed to one of my most memorable teachers! 

I was in her orchestras from 3rd-12th grade. To all my former orchestra “kids” who hang out with me on FB, this fine lady was your orchestra grandma!

From Kirsten Thompson:  Oh, I loved this dear lady so much. I will always be grateful for being in orchestra. It was a wonderful experience.

From Don Shaffer:  Absolutely one of the Best teachers that I have had the fortune to have in my life. She will truely be REMEMBERED, AND MISSED. TO ME SHE MADE A DIFFERENCE IN MANY LIVES!!!

From Sally Moon:  Marian was so devoted to God, Family and Music. We have been blessed to know her... her Church Family will miss her but Heaven just welcomed her home. 

From Beth Thompson Bruce:  A legend.  She brought so much music to our town.  And not just Pomp and Circumstance! 

From John Evans:  She deserves a book about how much she gave us all and the heartbreaking path she endured. I hope she knew how much her devotion meant to those of us blessed to have her in our lives. 

From Mary Brown:  She contributed so much to so many lives.  RIP, dear Mrs. Ruyle. 

From Ted Hadley:  I'm crying because she influenced so much of my life.  Godspeed, Marian. 


~~~~~~






 Thank you, Marian Ruyle, for all you gave to so many during your remarkable life.



Ave atque vale [Marian Ruyle] !!

                                    --Herrick Heitman



Marian Heath Ruyle

July 8, 1920--Feb. 19, 2019

RIP






4 comments:

Helen said...

a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman!

Heather ruyle tompkins said...

She was the best mother anyone could ask for a best friend a mentor. she touched so many people's life with her kindness her love her passion for music she will be forever remembered thank you all this is wonderful

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

"Italia est peninsula" is the only thing I remember from Latin. She was a great teacher and a super lady. Dave Newton '63.