Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Dirty Dog Days









When you don't want to look at any more snow, mud, ice, mushy dog logs, simply look upward. 

The sky here in North Idaho this week is as pretty as a picture. 

I actually shoveled snow yesterday without wearing a coat. 

It seemed like a crazy thing to do on such a springlike day, but it had a purpose. 

The pathways lead to places where mud has not yet begun to appear.  

Yes, the pathways lead to more snow, and that seems crazy until you think about how dirty and stinky dogs can get during this time of year.

Yes, we have officially entered "Dirty Dog Season."  I'm calling it "official" because Liam had his first dousing with the barnyard water hose last night.

In spite of my path shoveling, Liam did spend enough time in the mud for his tail, tummy hairs and legs to be coated with crud, and it's stinky crud too. 

So, he patiently stands while I spray those areas.  Once done, I say, "Shake, shake, shake," and Liam obliges.  One of these days I'll get smart enough to stand back when I ask him to shake that water off. 

We then pick the dryest, cleanest route to the garage where his next task is to "walk, walk, walk."  

That routine takes place on a series of those doggie mud rugs, advertised by chewy.com as "dog gone smart runner dirty dog doormats."

The variety I purchased most recently cost me $59 at the local Co-Op Country Store.  

If I wanted to spring for $89 I can purchase a "soggy doggy" version from chewy.com as opposed to the "ethical pet clean paws mat," which sells for $54. 

At this time of year, knowing that the best of mud is yet to come, I could almost weaken and pay an extra $30 for a couple more mats in the garage. 

We now have three, which have been purchased over the years.

Liam has gotten so well versed at "walk, walk, walk" that I don't even have to use a leash to get him to "walk, walk, walk"  in circles on the rugs. 

After the rug routine, Liam's agility training comes into play as I point at the covered crate next to the couch, which usually has a pile of towels. 

Again, the dog is smart.  Usually, all I have to do is look at the crate and instantly Liam has jumped aboard and happily awaiting his towel off. 

It sounds like a tedious process, but it sure beats the old days when I'd lead him into the bathroom, lure him into the tub, bathe him and then pretty much turn myself upside down to dry him with no fewer than four big towels. 

He was clean, yes, but my old legs hardly survived these sessions.  So, the new routine will do.

As for Foster, he's small enough to stick in the utility room sink for his bath.  Then, I wrap him up like a baby in two big towels, take him to the couch and dry him off.  To say Foster loves this would be an understatement. 

Dirty Dog Days have definitely added to the fun AND work of our transition from winter to spring.  

If we're lucky, they may not last as long as usual because our thaw, so far, is going gradually and is not being helped along by the usual miserable cold rain. 

So, no complaints, and, as long as these brilliant blue skies hang around and the birds continue to return, I can always look away from the yuck stuff. 

Happy Tuesday. 

     


No comments: