Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Birthdays and More . . . .







Last night while sitting on the deck at Ice House Pizza where Bill, Debbie and I were enjoying dinner, I heard a man call this scene the $2 million view.

"That's not a $2 million view," I told the man, whom I later knew as Greg.

He jokingly said I had hurt his feelings.

To which I suggested that it's worth far beyond $2 million.

  Then, we both agreed that the view of the lake, the islands and the main channel of Pend Oreille is downright priceless.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "We who have lived here forever are so lucky to have such scenes in our everyday travels and to have experienced them throughout our lives."

In my case, it's now officially 72 years, as of yesterday.

Every time we visit Ice House Pizza, I take pictures of the view above. 

I do so because every single time, with each subtle change of the scene, I feel like a "turist" seeing it for the first time and feeling overwhelmed with its stunning magnificence.

Sometimes the scene seems almost too perfect to be real, but it is, and for that reason, I think every soul who has ever eyed that view of our most precious gem has felt the same.

Twas a nice and pleasant way to spend a birthday evening, and once again, I want to extend a special thanks to Ice House owner Teresa for adding to the treat.

I enjoyed my 72nd birthday from start to finish.

 It was highlighted by a morning visit with my Montana brother and an "award-winning" rendition of the birthday song over the phone performed last evening by my dear friend and former colleague Rick Gehring.

Rick's wife Ann had called earlier in the day and sang the birthday song, adding a few lyrics about being 72.

It just rankles Ann that I remind her constantly every year that she's older than I.

So, I could detect a little redemptive tone in her song, noting that I'm now as old as she----at least until next March!

Rick's rendition of the birthday song was SO special because he suffered a stroke a few years back which severely affected his ability to speak.

He has gradually improved and I'll tell you that he's pretty darned good at communicating with hand motions.

To hear him last night, thought, singing Happy Birthday from start to finish with perfection was beyond special.

As always, birthday greetings in various forms are all very special and much appreciated as are all the other thoughtful gestures throughout the day.

Thank you all.

Another delight during the day was sitting on the deck reading and suddenly hearing the sound of  hoof beats around the barnyard.

CB had energized the troops, probably with his ball, and they were having a great time racing to and fro.

It's always a pretty sight, and they seem to love putting on a show.

Yup, it was a great 72nd birthday, and, as I have for far more years than I have fingers, toes, the day after my birthday, we celebrate that of my sister-in-law Mary.

Mary, who's married to my brother Mike (50-plus years) has a special birthday today.  Like Mike did a few days ago, Mary turned 75 today.

So, special greetings go out to her.

Happy Birthday, Mary.  Enjoy your day.

At this point in life, each birthday is special, and the thought of celebrating another year seems more important than ever before.

Happy Wednesday.  




Thanks, Debbie, for snapping this nice reminder of a lovely day. 












No comments: