Sunday, June 23, 2019

Sights along a Saturday Schweitzer Stroll






Yesterday, after enjoying a wonderful Di Luna’s breakfast visit with our friends Betty and David, I headed down the sidewalk toward my car but soon took a “slight detour.”


It's time, I thought, to get that book, which was enjoying a prominent display in Vanderford's book store window.

Most of you can probably guess which book. 

Within five minutes, I walked out with my very own copy of Delia Owens' New York Times Bestseller "Where the Crawdads Sing."

In fact, I was so proud that I even showed it off to a driver who had stopped at the cross walk.  

She smiled. 

I've been meaning to get a copy and read it for several weeks, but life got in the way. 

Maybe there will be time one of these days, I thought. 

Well, Mother Nature made that time yesterday with a sudden rainstorm while I was trying to mow the lawn. 

Instead of frustration, I smiled as I put the lawnmower away, thinking, "I can go in and start that book."

The rain lasted for about half an hour, giving me time to read through the first 30 pages of the novel, written by a lady who, up until recently, lived near Bonners Ferry. 

The rain had stopped and Bill had come home from helping with a church yard sale, so we decided to go to Schweitzer Mountain Resort, where this weekend is 7B weekend.  

Lots of stuff going on up there to usher off the summer activities.  Today the resort will offer free chairlift rides. 

Yesterday, we hit the tail end of the day's activities, which meant most of the crowds had gone home.  

Still, visitors were taking advantage of recreational opportunities, including mountain biking, hiking and enjoying some of the features around the village.

One such:  a  xylophone. 

Ever since a visit to Sedona a few years ago, Bill has been quietly lobbying for the Sandpoint area to get install a xylophone along the sidewalks or somewhere that visitors can enjoy making music. 

Well, of course, when we spotted the instrument at Schweitzer, Bill went over and gave it a try.  

Both coming and going on a hike up the cross country ski trail, we could see that the xylophone was, indeed, a popular feature. 

And, during one spontaneous "concert session," I could not take my eyes off from the young man with stunningly beautiful red locks testing out his musical skills. 

So, of course, I snapped some photos.  His family stood nearby, and I was told he wants his hair long because of a big brother. 

Also, during our stroll around the village and up the trail, we met Suzanne, who's in charge of the trail riding horses.  

She was carrying a pick, looking for horse apple deposits on the trail when we struck up a conversation with her.

Seems I'd heard about Suzanne, who's from Germany, a few months ago during a conversation with a farrier who shoes her horses. 

In seconds, it seemed as if we were old friends, so we talked for some time.  Twas during this conversation that I learned of Suzanne's close friendship with none other than Delia Owens and another horse woman I happen to know named Linda.

Suzanne said the trio who loved to ride together up there in the Moyie country called themselves the "Three Musketeers." 

Sadly, for Suzanne and for Linda, Delia has moved back to her homeland in the Southeast.  They've lost their riding partner, but they're happy for Delia and all her success.

As always, yesterday's spontaneous trip to Schweitzer netted us some pleasant exercise in a beautiful spot AND we met some interesting and nice people.

So, I'll be remembering the day and doing my best to find more down time to read Delia's book.  She's definitely got me hooked. 

Happy Sunday. If you're in the area, go check out Schweitzer today.  Lift rides are free, and it's mighty gorgeous up there.   


























No comments: