Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Judgment Day: Eye of Beholder







Today is Judgment Day

I'll be employing Margaret Wolfe Hungerford's famous line:  beauty is in the eye of the beholder OR sometimes the tongue. 

Now, Margaret never said anything about beauty and tongues, but since I have to taste some stuff today, I'll take the literary license of the add on. 

Yup, this is the day that a bunch of folks with eyes and tongues will be looking at and tasting stuff at the Bonner County Fair. 

The newly named Rhonda Livingstone Main Exhibit building will be closed off, allowing no one but superintendents, fair staff and judges to go inside. 

I've been told that one judging job will take about two hours.  The other: who knows?

My daughter-in-law Debbie will be joining me in the "who knows?" category. 

When judging is all completed by all those beholders with their official judge nametags, doors will be opened and then it will be either "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it OR Mad cuz of it."  

Now, I did have to insert another add-on from the Bible verse, again because I'm sure not everyone is gonna be glad if their banana bread or shriveled up violets don't win blue ribbons or any ribbons at all, for that matter. 

So, they may be mad cuz of it.  

But then, there will be the "glad's in it" walking around with buttons popping, summoning their family, their friends and even anyone who can't run away fast enough straight to their winning entries.

There's a lotta pride in winning a ribbon at the fair, as there oughta be.   

We should all feel good when we learn that those beholders'  eyes saw something special and rewarded it with blue ribbon or maybe even a giant purple rosette. 

I'll try really hard today to be a good beholder.  

Heck, I'll even take my glasses along so my eyes can behold in the best way possible. 

I rather like beholding what I consider the beauty around even when I'm not working as a judge at the fair. 

My camera lets me do that, and so, with today's photos, I hope you find some beauty and that you can find the same enjoyment I experienced while doing my beholding chores yesterday and today.

Lefty kinda liked enjoying his own version of beauty this morning too.  

Happy Tuesday.  

If you've submitted something for judging at the Bonner County Fair, good luck to you!















No comments: