Wednesday, October 16, 2019

In the Midst of Tedium






They are tedious, time-consuming jobs and someone's gotta do them. 

That's the story of life with falling leaves, dying plants, apple picking and wood gathering here at the Lovestead.

For now, the tedium is okay since any one job around here is gonna take time. 

Because cutting away and hauling away dead stuff, picking apples (yes, I found that they weren't all frozen) stacking wood, picking up leaves can't be finished in a day, we have the liberty to drop whatever we're doing in one place and go do something else. 

So, during one break yesterday, I took off on one of my usual afternoon drives around the country roads.  

I must say with regret that dullness reigns in much of our fall color show. 

Occasionally, however, something would stand out along the roadsides, and with no cars behind me, I could take some pictures. 

I saw deer hanging out with other deer and deer hanging out with turkeys.  


I saw a few pretty trees and a clump of still vibrant cattails.


I also noticed a few larch in the transformational stage leading toward their annual show of brilliant golden needles in the midst of everGREEN. 


The in-between stage of larch needles is actually rather striking. 


Bill and I also spent many hours outside working at our projects.  


While doing so, we both enjoyed visits from dogs coming to check up on us and then returning to the other work site. 


I also had time, for a change, to listen to most of last night's Democratic debate, which, still with 12, includes some very bright, articulate and competent candidates.  


I'm still deciding who to support.  


One decision maker for me says don't support anyone older than you are, no matter how compelling they may or may not be. 


That eliminates at least two, leaving me with 10.


Yes, it's ageism at its best coming from an oldster herself.


  Each day on this earth, I become increasingly aware of the odds of someone older than I living out a full four year term as our President.  


That's not to say it can't happen, as yesterday my friend Helen and I talked about two 90-year-old local friends who seem to be very productive in the community and doing just fine. 


One sees that lovely art appears on the walls of our local hospital, while the other helps run the farm tour each year. 


Amazing ladies, Polly Mire and Virginia Wood!


Still, I'm gonna stick with the odds.  


Historical notions would dictate that an old goat like me should not support the young bucks and does who haven't reached 40.  


Again, I'll go against the grain cuz I do like Mayor Pete.  


So, he's still on my short list.  Elizabeth Warren is old but  not older than I, so she'll still be a possibility. 


Behind them, I see a group of evenly matched candidates and would not complain if most of them got the nod. I think a couple of that group will eliminate themselves if they haven't already. 


That's information I'll keep to myself.


These folks give me hope that when and if our American governing nightmare ends, we can put aside junior high behavior and get back to issues that really matter to and make a difference in the lives of every day, ordinary citizens. 


In the meantime, let the autumnal tedium continue.  


If I stick at it and my timing is right, I may just get the yard under control for its winter dormancy and Bill will have enough wood chopped for our winter warmth. 


Happy Wednesday. 


   





















1 comment:

Helen said...

there isn't anything tedious about those beautiful pictures!