Monday, October 14, 2019

Monday Monday






In yesterday's post, highlighting all the dead stuff around the Lovestead, I failed to mention yet another problem which still needed solving. 

Like the others, it wasn't dead.

It was lost. 

It seems that almost immediately after returning home, problem solving began anew.  Seems like there's a lot of that on any given day around a farm. 

In this case, my problem to be solved was finding the photos I took Friday afternoon after visiting with Debbie at the Food Bank. 

Twas a gorgeous day, and since the Food Bank is fairly close to the former U of I experiment farm and the popsicle stick bridge over Sand Creek, I decided to take a few minutes to snap some photos of the grove of tall, slender aspen trees on the farm and some shots from the bridge.

After parking my car at the top of the hill, I set off down a trail and eventually walked cross country to the grove which put out some dramatic scenes with their tightly arranged rows and pathways in between. 

As always, it was fun finding some nice angles and capturing the stunning colors where the frost from the previous days apparently wasn't so brutal as what we've seen out here in Selle. 

Afterward, I set off down the hill to the bridge, which is filled with family nostalgia for an old gal who spent a childhood in that area. 

Memories of yesterday came floating back as I passed what used to be the parking area for anglers coming to the creek and where we took leaves from the trees, tore them into tiny bits and loaded them into whatever paper happened to be discarded in the parking area. 

Then, it was time to light up those very unhygiene-like kid-made cigarettes.  Brothers always had matches.  I can't recall too many delightful moments spent smoking our cigs, as they fell apart pretty easily. 

But the experience was just one of the many Tom Sawyer moments my two brothers and I spent at the bridge and its surrounding area on summer days after leaving the house on our bikes and with our fishing poles. 

In those days, I don't recall seeing Sand Creek drawn down as it was on Friday.  Mud flats are showing up, and soon the "Gem of Sandpoint" will be just as pretty as the dug-up streets in downtown. 

After snapping a few photos, I met a couple who recently moved to the neighborhood from Wyoming and enjoyed sharing with them some Sand Creek tales, including the one about our Springer Spaniel named Duffy who was pretty stupid, so stupid, in fact, that he fell off the back of our flat bed while  running toward and barking at the local dogs. 

The photo stop proved to be a lovely interlude on the first day back from Ireland.  Plus, it probably helped keep me awake. 

On Saturday morning, when I downloaded the photos, they disappeared into what appeared to be oblivion.  After a few under-the-breath comments and attempts to find the photos on this computer, I accepted the fact that they were gone.

Yesterday, I realized that the computer itself captures photos and just holds on to them for future editing. Elation set in, and this morning I was even happier to discover that when I edit one photo in Picasa, the rest of the set comes with it. 

So, problem solved, and I'm happy on this Monday to have captured that day of fall beauty after all, cuz yesterday sure was filled with visual blahs.

I did take a picture of Bill's wood pile.  He took off bright and early on Saturday, headed to Lightning Creek and spent the day cutting wood.  

Although most of our wood now comes from our own Lovestead, he likes to go out and find some of the prime species to mix in to the homegrown stuff. 

Bill works hard to stay about a year ahead in the wood gathering, so whatever he cut on Saturday will probably keep the fire going next winter.

Back to the problems: in the lawnmower department, we have yet to solve the problem of how to get the mower started, and that's after a new battery charger came home yesterday.  

So, there's word in to our wizard Tony and great hopes that he can solve the problem easily. 

On the apple front, I peeled off and on during the day yesterday and came out with enough sauce for our dinner of new pork chops (from the neighbor's pig) and homegrown potatoes.  

Pork chops were delightful and tender, and the applesauce added a tasty touch. So, all is not lost with the apples on the tree.  Though many will still go to the deer, I'll try to salvage enough to share between the horses and applesauce projects. 

Looks like a beautiful Monday coming up.  Bill and I are getting back into our routine, especially after a couple of nights of quality sleep. It does help. 

Happy Monday.  Enjoy the "found" photos. 

Oh, and my friend Connie has a grizzly bear hanging out in their yard above Hope, Idaho.  

You can read all about it at:






















No comments: