Thursday, October 24, 2019

ZAGmas: Only 8 Days Away





It was a good day to get some new wallpaper yesterday.

The sun was shining.  

The wind had stopped.

A feeling of crisp and colorful fall was abounding throughout the region.

So, about mid morning, I said "good bye" to Bill and headed for Spokane.

Bill's final words:  say hello to Mark Few. 

I chuckled-----as if!

Well, as if almost came true.

Unfortunately, Mark Few passed by too quickly.  

As he sat in the passenger side of a moving black car with his head turned toward the north, I stepped out of my car in the parking lot south of McCarthey Athletic Center.

Mark was on down the street before I could get my wits about me and holler "hello" for Bill. 

Minor disappointment because I knew that within minutes, I would walk into the office at McCarthey and gleefully walk out with the official start of ZAGmas season. 

And, I would have some new wallpaper to add to the ten other years of blue, red and white individual pieces of none other than ZAG Poster Classic wallpaper. 

It all started the season of 2008-09, and gradually, my house is becoming a Gonzaga man and woman cave. 

I was thinking yesterday about which I love more:  Border Collies, Ireland or Gonzaga?  

No need to love any one of them any more than another:  they're all great!

My upstairs bathroom is almost fully papered.  Downstairs, we're getting close to filling up the empty spots in the laundry room, the dining area and the hallway. 

Two more spots will be filled once I quit studying the faces and the schedules on my Women's and Men's posters which are currently sitting on the kitchen island. 

Sadly, my refrigerator may go without a new addition this year.  The nice lady who handed me the posters told me that refrigerator magnets have not yet arrived because game times had not been solidified when posters were printed.  

So, the magnets should have the game times.  

Heck, maybe I'd better make another trip to Spokane when magnets arrive. 

Part of ZAGmas involves playing ZAGMA Claus, as I stop at various locations where many happy recipients cheer loudly when they see me coming with this year's poster. 

My list of recipients has grown over the years, having reached its max a couple of years ago. It includes family and some friends AND most recently, the Sandpoint High women's basketball team which Willie coaches. 

I don't know if these folks wallpaper their homes like I do. 

Probably not.  Kinda tacky, indeed, especially using all those tacks to apply the wallpaper. 

Anywho, ZAGmas season has begun with the countdown:  just 8 more days until the men's team takes on Lewis and Clark College in an exhibition game Nov. 1.

Don't ask me what time cuz the frig magnets have not yet arrived, so we'll all have to find out together. 

Lots of new faces on those posters, soon to become household names----as if they're members of the family. 

What a gift this is each year as coaches Mark Few and Lisa Fortier, along with staff and players, bring us the perfect antidote to the long winter blues:  games twice weekly until late February, followed by the league tournament and, hopefully the Big Dance. 


GO, ZAGS!

In the meantime, it was an extra pretty day yesterday in Spokane and around the countryside.  

Another gift of crisp fall beauty awaits today.

Happy Thursday. 


































No comments: