Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Seasonal Half and Half, Etc.





As we transition from one season to another, it seems as if much of what we see in nature involves a little of this and a little of that.

Some trees still have leaves; others are empty.

Water is still flowing in many creeks, but intricate ice formations above the water suggest that winter is a-coming.

Some trees still clutching their golden needles provide dramatic contrasts next to their evergreen friends.

Occasional tufts of bright green grass still rise out of dull leaf beds.

Some scenes are monopolized by drab colors of death and dust, while isolated pockets of landscape still show off at least a hint of their fall splendor.

For camera junkies, it’s a difficult time of year finding things pretty.

Still, with a little diligence, refined observation and perseverance, we’ll find some beauty in nature.
 
And, when we do, we know we’ve earned it much more so than when all things outside are pretty.

That’s kinda how it was yesterday when I finally had a few minutes to take off on one of my afternoon photo searches.
 
For a while, I thought I was gonna come home with an empty memory card----that is, until I stopped at the bridge over Caribou Creek not far off from the Upper Pack River Road.

When I parked the car and looked over the concrete abutment and saw and heard a creek with a healthy water flow, topped off with deposits of snow and ice, my photographic endorphins started popping.

Then, I took pictures, with the delight of a kid in a candy store. 

Later, on my way home, I thought about North Center Valley Road and how as ya move on up the bumpy road, there are some nice open views across the lowlands leading to the Grouse Mountain area.

Along the way, I saw more seasonal half and half scenes among the trees. In one spot, empty aspen stood side by side with deep green conifers while in another, the contrast between green and gold in another stand of trees showed an even division of colors.

That’s kinda how it is with beauty in the landscape and with living beings.  Sometimes, at first, we don’t see much beauty, but with time and patient observation, patches of pretty burst forth.
 
Then, we wonder how we could have missed that beauty.

I thoroughly enjoyed my outing yesterday.  In fact, the entire day had little bursts of positive vibes which happily dulled the not-so-good.
 
As we gradually lose our “automatic pilot” beauty here in North Idaho to a point where it’s no longer even half-and-half, we’ll just have to open those eyes a little wider to see the hidden gems that enhance our day.


Happy Wednesday.  Enjoy the photos.






Not exactly half-and-half, but maybe a feline metaphor.

 Plus, I tend to like anything black and white. 















No comments: