Monday, January 20, 2020

Yesterday: a Better Day; Tomorrow? Maybe Better





Twas a better day yesterday. 

A hint of warmth wafted through the January air. 

Some snow melted and fell or slid off from posts and bird houses and people houses. 

Sun beams were plentiful.

Chickadees were singing and flitting from limb to limb, taking occasional slight detours to the feeders. 

Seems often times in life, there's always that instant when mind and body both sense a breakthrough.

What seemed rigorous and impossible for so many days of constant snow, frustration and never-ending work suddenly seemed much better yesterday

It was, indeed, a better day. 

Thankfully, we all have better days in our lives.  

On a much larger scale, we have had in the past and hope to have better days in the future within our nation. 

This pleasant and welcome phenomenon happens because of hope, grit, work and persistent efforts to make a better day for ourselves and for others, including our 4-legged beloveds. 

Eventually, it all adds up, there's a breakthrough, and things just feel better. 

On this 2020 Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, the heavy burdens and frustrations for our country are quite prominent, as they always will be.

If, however, we take some time on days like today to listen to voices like Dr. King's and to those of generations afterward who study and admire his words while pursuing their own dreams, we might just hear the chickadees singing in the background and see that some of a weight has been lifted. 

And, it will be a better day in America.

“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” 

Happy Monday.   








FIRST PLACE: HIGH SCHOOL DIVISION

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter” (Martin Luther King Jr.).

My dreams and hopes for the future are motivated by Mr. King's inspirational quote while reminding me to continue to have the stamina I have had since childhood. The way I interpret Martin Luther King's quote is to make the best out of each situation and have a voice. If we do certain activities that have no pertinence to us, what is the point of doing something without a passion? Having the internal drive and doing something one enjoys is key for an individual in discovering what truly matters.

I hope to provide leadership to my family, community and nation. A first-generation college student, I will be the second in my family to attend. I will then pass the torch to my two younger sisters who will follow in my footsteps. I have a broad vision for all humanity. From a young age, I have always enjoyed lending a hand, whether it was helping my mother cook, listening and advising friends regarding personal problems, or bandaging scrapes or cuts. As I grew through adolescence, my career ideas gradually progressed. I want to be a primary care physician. My volunteer experiences for the past three years have increased skills I will incorporate caring for the well-being of others.

Humanitarian and adaptable are two specific adjectives used to describe me and sincerely care for the welfare of individuals and humankind. When I become a doctor ten years from now, my bilingual abilities will have great impact in my medical practice. I envision parents and children seeing a young Latina who pursues a profession making a difference in the community and urging society past old barriers. One day I plan to provide free health care to third-world countries' underprivileged civilians. Civilians cannot do anything about their circumstances and live in oppression. Referring back to Martin Luther King's quote “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” It is my duty to be a voice for those who cannot afford health care and provide assistance.

“If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on...” (Martin Luther King Jr.). My vision for the community is to see more minorities attending college. Younger children would be influenced by triumphing students and thus would challenge themselves in school. Martin Luther King Jr. would have wanted more minority scholars taking a rigorous course work in school to expand ones' knowledge. I envision more minorities taking advanced and honors courses in high school and beyond. Not only do I envision a rigorous course work but a high decrease in discrimination of ones' capabilities because of race, origin, nationality, sex, religion or disabilities. 

There is a future where one day people will not be judged by their exterior appearance but solely on the internal being.


Maritza Estrada, senior, Omaha Central High School


























No comments: