Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Re-entering the Routine Zone






It seems so elusive.

Then, suddenly, you reclaim it. 

Time.

I had that realization last night after spending a day on a conference-call meeting and then several hours on the lawnmower.

These activities also came after the big build-up and project-oriented long stretch of time spent preparing for company where it seemed like, for weeks, there were not enough hours in the day to get it all done.


And now . . . 


. . . you have time.  

Use it well. 

With the sense of urgency subsiding for a while, at long last, we can tend to some of those "important" things, like catching up with friends or dealing with "round-to-it" details that have been set aside for weeks on end


Sometimes, we might even take advantage of the opportunity to waste time, or so we think.  

But then, why isn't wasting time once in a while a good thing?

Sometimes I do just sit and do nothing, and it feels good.

And, it felt really good last night, after bathing, washing my hair and donning clean clothes  to just mosey around the place and even to chuckle when I first discovered the doggie pool filled with water out by the barn where the double doors were closed. 

Dogs were waiting at the door, so upon sliding it partway open, I was not surprised to see Annie inside jogging to music up and down the aisle. 

She had that doggie pool prepared in a private place behind the fence----not for dogs but for herself.

I went on about my way as Annie spent some of her down time relaxing and refreshing in the little blue pool with a little help from Liam.

I also went for a leisurely and pleasant evening drive.  It's that time of year where fields and yards tend to fill up with deer. 

It's also time for bright yellow sunflowers of different sizes to suddenly pop open, brightening up areas where other flowers have all but succumbed to intense heat. 

I'm hoping my little pansies and nasturtiums will come back but not holding my breath.  Plus, I planted sunflowers in various areas around the place so there should be some good shows coming soon. 

Those in the garden are impressive yet disappointing.  One stretched far beyond the top of the fence, but all have decided to face the west, so we won't be able to admire their colorful faces out the kitchen window. 

Today marks the first day in a long, long time with no urgency on the schedule, 'cept to go get my online grocery order. 

I'll probably pick some more raspberries and maybe some beans.  

Speaking of which, my bean crop has been disappointing this year.  I picked a weird brand of green bean seed, which leads to short, curly beans and not too many per plant. 

So, during that stretch of four hot days, I planted some more seed.  Have never seen beans sprout so fast.  They're already about three inches above the ground. 

Hopefully, the extra plants will yield enough to catch up on the usual amount I put in the freezer. 

Same thing is true with plums and our big apple tree, which was pruned earlier this year.  We figure that the freezes hit at just the wrong time for baby blossoms. 

Blueberries and raspberries, though, have been abundant.

Anyway, I'm liking the sudden onset of unscheduled time and may just waste some of it---for a couple of hours anyway. 

Life is good. 

Happy Wednesday.    




















No comments: