Thursday, January 20, 2022

This, That; TBT



Let me start out with "Just Sayin'." 

Usually people get all done with all that's on their minds and then tack on "Just Sayin'."  

I think it's important to alert readers that there might be opinion in what's coming next.  

So, I've just come upstairs from reading the morning paper where the lead article is about the school district policy on how teachers are to conduct their classes and the rights that parents have. 

In the article, I noticed that our superintendent pointed out that most of what's in these policies has been pretty much expected and practiced all along.

Now, however, it's been put into words, so folks who abuse the rules will get an "I told ya so," reminder that the school district policy says . . . .

My only observation this morning, on Throwback Thursday, is reflecting upon how hot-button issues or philosophies were discussed in my English classes and, as I vividly recall, in my colleague Terry Iverson's government classes, among many others. 

Discussion, based on something we'd read or watched in a video, was usually very spirited and, in my classes, often ran past the allotted time in my lesson plan, so the debate would go on the next day.

As a teacher, I had opinions, but knew my role to practice impartiality as best I could.  Not always easy but important. 

The basic rules in my class when discussion ensued were simple.

When one person talks, everyone else listens.  Again, not always easy but enforced to the best of my ability, and I could be an old witch when needed. 

Secondly, display respect, no matter how much you may disagree; everyone has a right to their opinion.

Third, stay on task.  Deal with the subject at hand. 

As I reflect upon some of those class discussions during my 30 plus years of teaching, I think they were some of the most exciting moments of teaching. 

"Let 'er fly," and have fun. Students were passionate, often very well informed, sometimes not but inaccurate facts in the discussion would often be clarified as debate went on. 

I had never heard of "critical race theory" until I started seeing the phrase showing up in "talking points" on TV or in written news. 

We talked about race often when we studied the works of Mark Twain.  

Never once in my career did a parent complain about what was happening in my class discussions.  

I also do not  think that any students ever felt that their words were not heard or respected.  Nor were they made to feel a sense of guilt about what was happening in the world around them.

They simply learned firsthand that opinions differ, and if you want to defend your own thoughts, provide the evidence.  

The teaching method all those years followed the general premise that opinion should be based on fact. Read, study, research and a generous array of accurate facts to win your argument.  

It's a simple formula, and I'm willing to bet that most teachers, as professionals, in the public school system do their best to provide an impartial approach to education. 

Seems to me that it's a two-way street in education, medicine, etc.:  respect the professionals just as you expect them to respect you. 

Seems like an easy formula. 

Just sayin'.


~~~~~

My friend Connie has been pretty busy lately.  Check out her latest blog post. 


https://retiredmtnlady.blogspot.com/



 


A throwback from last October when we enjoyed this delectable Irish dessert. 

It just looked pretty and yum-yum and perfect for a January pick-me-up. 




Now for Thursday Throwbacks.  


Sandpoint said good bye to a lovely lady last Friday when Marilyn Chambers' celebration of life was held at the Gardenia Center. 

A eulogy I had written mentioned the candle exchange which went on for years between the Chambers and Love family. 

Later, Marilyn's son Bill sent me a couple of classic renditions of the candle which always took on a different form with each exchange. 

Twas a fun aspect of our longtime friendship.






I've been going through the photo library on my new computer, some of which date back through two other laptops (2009).  


So, I hope you enjoy the assortment, mostly family or travel stuff. 






Former student Dr. Barry Stoddard in his lab at the Fred Hutchinson Center in Seattle.
 



Where did we buy these donuts?


Mother and her great-granddaughter Betsy. 


My sisters and Katie Chambers, who served as the yearbook editor at Sandpoint High. 

They decided to do photo shoots as a fundraiser, so, of course, they needed some guinea pigs to see how the photo set up would work. 


Willie and I have both advised the Sandpoint High School Cedar Post, and he was my student when I was advising the paper. 

This was taken shortly after he moved back home to Sandpoint to teach. 




Annie on our first trip to Ireland together. 

Below, several friends of Annie's from Seattle who came to Sandpoint a few years back to experience Idaho culture. 



Bill's favorite book store in Ireland. 


My brother Mike and his wife Mary and probably cousin Sue at a family gathering in Ephrata. 


My longtime and dear friend Susie at her home in Colorado. 


Willie and Debbie shortly after they moved home to Sandpoint from Boise. 

Below:  Debbie enjoying a ride on Lefty. 



Dolly Parton's birthday was yesterday; this was a billboard we saw in Belfast, Ireland, where Dolly was set to appear that fall.  Loved the world over. 

Below:  Bill and I spent a day with former students Laurie and Jim in Phoenix a few years back.  




Finally, it's a makeup game tonight, and we have to stay up late to watch the ZAGS.

But that will be okay.  It's always great watching the nation's No. 1 men's college basketball team.

San Francisco's Dons come to the Kennel in a West Coast Conference match-up. 

8 p.m. PST

CBS Sports Network, Channel 158 on DISH and Channel 221 on DirecTV

Special note:  the post was published a little late this morning because I found out in mid-post that I don't quite have my laptop set up for blogging. 

Good to work out the glitches. Thanks for your patience. 




Topping off the day today with something a little different.  It's January, so anything a little different is helpful.

My brother posted this video on his Facebook feed. 

Kinda funky and fun. 

And, STRANGE. 

Enjoy. 




No comments: