Friday, May 20, 2022

Footloose?

 





I'm not exactly walking on happy feet but am hoping to have them feel a little better soon. 

A bout with plantar fasciitis in both feet over the past month has kept me really busy consulting with Dr. Google, with other sufferers and, most recently, with a real live foot doctor.  

His name is Dr. Fisher, and I was thrilled to find out yesterday that he lives in our general area and harbors a desire to have his own hobby farm. 

Plus, he's a horse-manure connoisseur and is looking for a manure spreader. 

I met Dr. Fisher and his staff of efficient helpers during an early-morning appointment yesterday. 

This was a BIG deal for me because anyone who's ever read my first book Pocket Girdles knows that my feet never are allowed coming-out parties, even for family. 

They aren't that ugly but let's just say they would never be selected to appear in beautiful-feet commercials.

With the upcoming trip to Ireland, my feet need to be functional, so, when all else fails, go to the doctor. 

Seems I've done that a lot lately, and for a person with a longtime aversion to doctors' offices, I've come a long ways in overcoming my fears.  

In the past year or so, I've established a relationship with the eye doctor, a dentist and a family medical provider.

Now, add the podiatrist to the list.  Could this, by chance, exemplify the true meaning of "coming of age"?

If so, I'm well on my way and am not yet 75!

Bill and I were talking yesterday about my continuing progress toward veering away from the Internet doctors toward the real deals. 

He repeated an oft-quoted Bill-ism:  I always said that there are two professionals that I wanted to be older than I:  my doctor and my airline pilot. 

He says, however, that of late he's kinda changed his tune on that desire.

Anywho, during the appointment Dr. Fisher looked at my feet, said they weren't that ugly and then gave me some advice on shoes and exercises to do.  

Then, he had his assistants bring out some inventory, a pair of his idea of true hiking shoes as opposed to mine, a handout on exercises to do every single day and how often to do them, some quality orthotics (not covered by insurance) and the torture machine.

The "torture machine" is a boot with straps, one of which is used to increasing tension.  

"You can't sleep with two of these, so you can trade off each night on what foot goes into the boot," he said. 

The boot's purpose is to put steady tension on my foot so the plantar band will be in good shape for the morning.

He also told me to go to Outdoor Experience and "tell 'em Dr. Fisher sent you."  They would know exactly what kind of walking shoes to pull out for me to try. 

The appointment lasted about 15 minutes, and I walked out the door with my arms full of stuff and the knowledge that my early-morning maintenance time would have me getting up even earlier than the normal 4:15. 

After finishing morning chores, I decided to do all the money spending and gathering of foot enhancing equipment in one day. 

So, that meant a trip to downtown Sandpoint, First Avenue, no less. 

The shoe-buying mission provided me a pleasant opportunity to check out a couple of other places in town, including the new Bonner County Museum store, which is loaded with a lot of old treasures.

Yesterday, Val Plaster, a former student, was minding the store. She explained the highlights of the shop, which is open Wednesdays through Sundays. 

Lots of neat stuff in there!

My visit to Outdoor Experience netted some really comfortable walking shoes and a visit with the mom of one of my former students.  I also met Hobie who's a photographer (former photojournalist) and a Border Collie lover. 

As I walked into Outdoor Experience, I noticed that the store mentioned a few weeks ago in this blog "I See Something Shiny Boutique" was just across the street. 

So, that was my last stop.  I'll probably go back because I saw the menu for The District Restaurant, which is a part of the boutique, along with chocolates and wines and shoes and note cards---you name it. 

I also enjoyed a visit with new friend Troice who was working on a window display. 

And, so my downtown experience came to an end, pleasantly so as I walked around town in new shoes with doctor's office orthotics. 

It felt reasonably good. 

After a night of surviving the torture machine (it wasn't THAT bad cuz I did sleep through the night), I'm not exactly ready to do any footloose moves but feeling hopeful that I might want to do a jig when I get to Ireland. 

We'll see. 

For now, my feet have taken me through some new adventures in life, painfully so, but also mind-and-body enriching.  

We ARE works in progress, no matter how old we get, and I'm feeling a sense of satisfaction that I'm still progressing and weathering this present physical storm fairly well. 

In fact, I'll might also spend a little less time with Dr. Google and more with the real deals. 

Finally, if you know of a manure spreader for sale, Dr. Fisher might like to talk with you. 

Happy Friday. 





These cupcakes actually came from Post Falls and were delivered to our home by our daughter-in-law Debbie who purchased them at Wednesday's Farmer's Market. 

Angie Rettstatt from Random Acts of Sweetness brought her offerings to the market. 

www.randomactsofsweetness.net

from her story . . . 

Random Acts of Sweetness creates uniquely indulgent cupcakes. These are not your kid’s cupcakes. Don’t get me wrong, your kids can eat them, you just aren’t going to want to share.

Each recipe is designed to create a delectable dessert experience, much more tantalizing than your average cupcake.

Baked fresh daily, they are then packaged and hand delivered to you or your intended recipient throughout the Rathdrum, Hayden, Coeur d’Alene and Post Falls areas.
Better than flowers… these cupcakes are guaranteed to sweeten your day.  


Bill and I selected two, my sisters picked out theirs and Willie and Debbie enjoyed the last two.

I saved mine for after my appointment and spent the day cutting off scrumptious bites. Best key lime I've every tasted. 
 
  Maybe she'll come back to the market with more.  





Former student and friend, Val Plaster










No comments: