Friday, September 23, 2022

Day of Rest, Sorta

 




Twas a gut-wrenching first day of fall for me yesterday----literally. 

Yup, there must have been a monkey wrench inside my gut twisting and turning and piercing AND reminding me that we can suddenly become captives of unknown forces. 

Well, I wasn't sure early in the day, but as the gut continued on with its out-of-sorts behavior, I just succumbed to the situation, dealt with it and resolved hopefully that this too shall pass. 

For years, I have lived with an unruly gut, which actually has behaved much better in my retirement years. 

The stress of teaching definitely played a factor, but there are also some foods that do not fare well on the journey through my internal plumbing. 

My theory is that too many of these combinations recently led to my intestines saying "enough is enough!" 

And, so, let's just say yesterday was not the best of days.  

Fortunately, this morning I feel much better with just some occasional hints of colon distress. 

Hopefully, the siege has ended, and, for sure, I'll be more careful with what goes into my body. 

It takes times like this to humble us and to help us fully appreciate all the good days of life.

I did manage to finish some outdoor projects, including my daily visit with Little Kenny. That's always good for whatever ails ya. 

I also mowed/cleaned up the lawn before and after the rain. 

Yesterday's rainfall was much needed, as heavy coatings of dust had once more returned. 

The world outside is once again beautiful this morning, and we are due for more nice fall weather over the next few days. 

This morning Annie is home for a few days, and Mr. Foster is a one happy pup.  

We do have some unfortunate news about the little guy.  

He has become blind.  This was pretty much confirmed with a couple of visits to the vet this week. 

The good news is that Foster has adjusted quite well to his situation, occasionally bumping into stuff when his sniffer and ears fall a tad short in directing him. 

He spends most of the day outside, trotting from place to place, barking at the lawnmower whenever I start it  and, for many hours, occupying that spot in the barn where Sunny can torment him from the top of the hay stack. 

This week, Bill and I were recalling the years when my big beautiful horse Rambo went blind, one eye at a time. 

Bill reminded me of what Dr. McCormick had told us at the time.

"He has adjusted; you have not."

The best news about Foster, turning 11 this November, is that his health is great.  

And, he seems very happy, especially when Annie is home. 

And, so, another Friday has come, and all is basically well. 

As my friend Rose reminds us in her blog, we are grateful.  We never take the happy blessings of life, no matter how seemingly insignificant, for granted. 

Happy Friday. 







No comments: