Monday, January 30, 2023

Simple Stuff

 




Foster is my barn buddy.

The little guy amazes me, especially considering that he has gone blind.  

He knows his way to the barn and to all the important places in his life. 

Every morning he accompanies me to the dog run. He doesn't stay there, just partakes in "biscuit time" and then heads on his way while Bridie and Liam stay.

Foster always takes a biscuit, carries it a ways, puts it down and often comes back several hours later to eat it. 

He knows where to find fresh horse apples.  He knows the best places in the pasture along the lane to leave his little Foster logs.

While I finish my barn chores in mid-morning, Foster spends some time looking for the cats to stare at.  Yeah, how does a blind dog stare at cats, you may ask. 

I've wondered that too, but Foster does a good job, even when the cat isn't there. 

Often, he'll just give up staring to open the door to the tack room and clean up some of the cat food. 

When cat work and cat food doesn't occupy his time, my little friend simply finds a spot, usually near the doorway to supervise me. 

In the evenings, while I'm preparing dinner, Foster keeps close track of its progress. 

The instant I tell Bill he can come and dish up, Foster's favorite time of the day comes. 

Knowing Bill will always share bites from his dinner, Foster sits steadfastly staring and refraining from any obnoxious begging behavior.  A perfect gentleman begger, he is, and the rewards come. 

I'm happy that Foster has been able to adapt to his blindness and that he can still enjoy the relatively carefree life of a busy little dog. 

BTW:  he is my barn buddy but takes breaks as my best friend whenever Annie is home. During those times, she is his person, and he takes that job very seriously. 

Good little Foster. 

~~~~

Twas a simple and lovely Sunday around here yesterday.  I never left the place and felt more than content to soak up some sunshine on a cold and glorious January day. 

The dogs followed me as I set off walking across the fields on top of snow, easily stepping over fences and enjoying the peace and beauty of it all. 

I even did an outdoor project other than chores. Having used the last of a stack of hay, stored in the shop lean to, I cleaned up the area, raking all the loose hay that had dribbled from the stack over the last three months. 

The horses were happy to munch on an extra afternoon treat. 

We alo watched some football off and on throughout the day.  Both of us were glad to see the Kansas City Chiefs win their game and advance to the Super Bowl. 

I love watching quarterback Patrick Mahomes, and since my friend Mow is a big Kansas City fan, it was great to see them win. 


Mama Kelce




Mama Kelce must love this.

They're calling it the Brothers Bowl.

Will these siblings take a break from "brotherly love"?

And, Coach Reid may have mixed emotions since he also coached for Philadelphia. 

Great and refreshing stories for the Super Bowl.   

~~~~

As I type this morning, my computer says it's 2 degrees outside.  That one degree cooler than when I went out to do the early chores. 

I felt a definite difference in the cold from yesterday's 7-degree morning.  Today, however, the temps will begin to climb again. 

So, we've had just a few days of bitter cold but some amazing beauty and freedom of movement to go along with it. 

It's been a nice and welcome way to end January. And, by golly, this least favorite month of mine has not been that bad in 2023. 

Happy Monday.  
















No comments: