Tuesday, August 15, 2023

That Time of Year




First batch of jelly for 2023

I could say a lot of sweat went into this, but I don't want folks to get the wrong idea.

Only plum juice went into this jelly. 

I did sweat a lot, though, while processing it. 

Nothing like hot kitchen work on a hot day but what else was there to do?

Wrapping a wet towel around my neck helped as I stood over the pot waiting for the juice to come to a boil. 

Batch one done and, by golly, it set up too. 

I also spent some time at the fair yesterday. A very nice man named Vance (hubby to Jolene Book) agreed to come with me to my car which I had parked in the first line with its back end pointing to the main exhibit building.

I figured whoever carried that pumpkin into the building deserved every break possible. 

There were two pumpkins in the back of the car. So, I asked Vance which one he thought was bigger.  He picked out Garry, also noting that part of the stem on my alternative pumpkin had broken off. 

Yes, I figured that, I told him, adding that pumpkins had rolled and crashed around in the back every time I turned a corner. 

Garry held on with his stem, so Vance urged him out of the car and then cradled him in his arms. 

He even posed with the pumpkin for a picture.

I had done my homework before summoning someone nice to take the pumpkin inside. 

On an earlier trip into the building I asked if beauty was considered when picking the biggest pumpkin. 

 Jolene, the pumpkin superintendent with no prior training on registering pumpkins and potatoes, sent me over to Gail Curless, a veteran fair superintendent. 

Gail said she and Randy, as judges, picked out the largest pumpkin at last week's Boundary County Fair and simply determined the winner over weight, not beauty.  

So, I figured my misshapen Garry would do. Yesterday morning Garry was the biggest pumpkin at the fair, but it was early, and I'm sure someone probably came forth with a bigger model. 

We'll just wait and see.  If Garry wins anything, the ribbon and money will go to my friend Garry Bristow.  So, let's keep our fingers crossed. 

Garry and I used to have a friendly competition in the pumpkin department, and I was pretty sure he had not done any gardening this year. 

So, I hope he wins.   

There seemed to be a lot of activity throughout the big exhibit building with young and old bringing their entries while others were decorating booths. 

Judging takes place today, so the main exhibit building will be closed.  Maybe this evening I'll learn how Garry did. 

In the meantime, I'm getting together with some friends today for lunch and beforehand will resume picking the gazillion plums still on my tree.  

Some have already gone to the local food bank while others went into that batch of jelly last night. 

While I was making the jelly, Bill went to town to get some supplies for improving our mailbox.  We received a "bad mailbox" note in the mailbox yesterday with the word "ASAP" included.  

The box needs to be higher so the deliverer can reach it more easily. 

Bill told me he had been studying how best to improve the mailbox for the past year.  Now, he'll have to put some of his research to use. 

While he was in town, he also picked up a life jacket for Foster.  We both agreed that it's worth a try to see if Foster would like to go kayaking with us. 

So, the next time we go out, the little guy will have his fancy jacket.  I have a feeling he may just enjoy a little doggie boating. 

Stay tuned. 

And, do stay cool, however possible. 

Happy Tuesday.  


















No comments: