Sunday, October 22, 2023

One Fine Fall Day

 



                                                                              Annie Love Photo



If it hadn't been for a couple of fishermen from Athol, we would have missed seeing this sight. 

Bill realized this morning that the last time he had visited Antelope Lake east of Clark Fork was in 2007 when he found a geocache there. 

He and Annie found the same geocache yesterday. 

Finding the geocache, fishing from kayaks in the beautiful lake and enjoying lunch with one of the most stunning views imaginable did happen yesterday. 

In addition, my niece Laura,  our daughter Annie and little Foster hiked up and down a trail to the lake. 

While they were starting their hike, Bill and I stopped off at the Clark Fork Pantry, in two separate vehicles, for some sandwiches. 

The next plan was for Bridie and me to join him in the pickup at the bottom of the road to Antelope Lake. So, I parked the car and grabbed my backpack and camera while he led Bridie to the pickup. 

As we started up the road, which I've known to be historically bad, I noted that it had probably been 50 years since my one and only trip to the lake. 

We had gone there because it was one of my dad Harold's favorite fishing spots. I don't remember the challenges of the road at the time, but I know we did arrive and did come back down without incident. 

Yesterday, about half a mile up the road, we encountered what Bill called moguls, requiring slow speed and intricate maneuvering through crevasses and over humps.  

After going so far, we looked ahead, and the road appeared to be much worse.  Our main concern was the ability to turn around. 

So, Bill slowly backed down the road, and it looked as we would have to abandon the plan of meeting Annie and Laura with kayaks and lunch. 

I had just transferred my stuff and Bridie back to the Subaru when a pickup turned in to the road off from the highway.  Bill ran to our white pickup to move it out of the way.  

While he was doing that, I asked the driver if they'd been up the road recently.  In fact, he and his friend had---just last week. 

He assured us that the drive would take some extreme care in a couple of places,  but it was doable. 

"Follow us," he said. 

So, we did, and oh what a reward we enjoyed between the striking fall colors around the lake, an outdoor john which had not been there in 2007 and a structure for signage, which provided a perfect spot for a long leash on Bridie. 

Just as we arrived at the lake, so did Annie and Laura and Foster.  The hike was a pleasant one, they said. 

After Bill and Annie launched and headed off fishing, I asked Laura to stay with Annie while I walked over to the opening to take pictures of the view. 

In my wildest dreams, I could never have imagined such a stunning scene----the green Clark Fork Valley accented by an abundant array of brilliant fall colors, the blue Clark Fork River flowing into magnificent Lake Pend Oreille and the far-off Selkirk Mountains. 

It was beyond breath-taking.  

Then, I spotted a little picnic site just below where I stood.  Twas small level stretch of green grass with chunks of tree for seating and even a fire pit.  

I can imagine the fabulous memories experienced by hundreds of others over past years who've made it up that challenging road or hiked the trail. 

It turned out to be a wonderful memory for us as we eventually all gathered for lunch and some quality time enjoying the amazing view. 

I have a feeling we may find a way to get up to that spot a little more often.  Last evening Bill was telling Willie that they would need to take the kayaks up there again and do some fishing.  

Bill did catch and release a nice 14-inch rainbow. 

For those, who read yesterday's post and for whoever commented that I would not make it through 3.5 hours at the movie theater----Bill and I opted to stay home while Annie, Laura and Debbie watched and highly approved of "Killers of the Flower Moon." 

Bill and I will do a matinee. 

All in all, as predicted rain is falling this morning, I think back on yesterday with great fondness.  

With the company we kept and with all the wonderful images, it turned out to be one fine day and phenomenal finale to our fall beauty. 

Many thanks to those other fishermen who led the way. 

Once again, we know we are blessed.   





                                                                         Annie Love Photo
























No comments: