Friday, December 29, 2023

The Ladies of the Barn

 


Mary Jo, Helen, Sandy and Roxane, some of the "ladies of the barn" at Roxane's stable. 



A new chapter in my life began Nov. 1 when Bill and I hauled my three horses to my friend Roxane's stable where they would be boarded for five months. 

Since then, the horses have gotten adjusted to some of their new surroundings.  They've had dental work, hoof work, worming and some wonderful care and housing. 

With the end of Christmas season, I've changed my day-time focus to spending more time with the horses. 

This week's plan:  some grooming and getting them acquainted with the big indoor arena which has grown in size over the last month. 

The plan calls for working with one horse each time I visit. 

So far, CB and Lily have taken their first walks around the arena with me walking beside them.

In those sessions, I've also learned that Lily can be a royal pill in her new digs, especially whenever she thinks of herself as a queen surrounded by a bunch of boys aka geldings.  

She was fine when I walked her around the arena, but her behavior during grooming left much to be desired. 

On the other hand, CB, except for his deep breathing, always an indicator of his initial nervousness with any new experience, has behaved himself and taken each new situation in his stride. 


The arena, which is very close to my horses' stalls, has huge mirrors on both sides and at one end. 

So, we'll probably do several walks around the facility, allowing the horses to get used to seeing themselves before I saddle up and go for a ride. 

Yesterday, on Lily's day, some of the "ladies of the barn" had come to ride their horses. 

The group included Sandy, Helen, Mary Jo, Janet and Roxane. In the first barn, Roxane and Sandy were saddling up two of Roxane's horses.  At the barn next to the arena where Lily, Lefty and CB live, Mary Jo and Janet were grooming and tacking up while Helen had already climbed aboard in the arena. 

All but Janet were planning to go for a short trail ride in the woods north of the arena. Janet planned to ride in the arena. She has a lovely standard poodle named Kitty which accompanies her when she comes to the stable. 

Kitty loves to play, but she is very well behaved and careful around the horses.  Janet (below left with her gelding)  says Kitty is great when she accompanies her on trail rides. 


This amazing and engaging lady named Mary Jo is 86 years old.  I've known her for several years but have just recently seen the grit and zest for life she has at her age. 

I've seen her ride her Half Arabian in the arena bareback, and my jaw dropped yesterday when I watched her dismount to the ground rather than using a mounting block. 

At the end of the riding session, after she had groomed and put her horse away, Mary Jo grabbed a broom and swept up a large portion of the aisle.  

She is an inspiration and my hero.  I have a feeling the other ladies, mostly my age, except for Roxane, feel the same about Mary Jo. 


Helen, who hails from Oklahoma,  is as sweet and encouraging as they come.  Plus, she's happy to share information she's learned about horse care. 


Roxane owns the stable.  

I've known her since she was a child, and she was one of my English students when she went through Sandpoint High School. 

Roxane is a retired Marine who competed as a sharpshooter in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. 

She runs a tight ship at the stable, where she provides high quality service while making the experience fun and inviting for her clients.  

I'd say the ladies of the barn are like a family, all due to Roxane's encouragement and genuine care for the horses and her clients. 




Sandy (above) and I met officially yesterday.  We've seen each other around town for years.  She works at Finan McDonalds in downtown Sandpoint. 


There's that Mary Jo again, holding Roxane's horse before the trail ride. 

Below:  Helen again with her paint gelding. 

Being the new kid on the block among these wonderful women is a bit intimidating, but everyone seems to happily watch out for and encourage each other. 

Except for their training sessions, I've never had the experience of being part of a "barn" before.

Yesterday I really appreciated my new friends' understanding as Lily continued to put on a "spoiled brat" show in the aisle while all the other horses just quietly and happily cooperated with their owners. 

Of course, these horses have had time to get to know the territory, and I'm hoping that, with time, Lily will settle down to her usual quiet self.  If not, Lefty and CB will get the nod for extra TLC and maybe a ride or two.

So far, it's a fun new chapter in this journey called life.

 We're never too old to learn and to embrace new experiences.  And, the warm and friendly environment at Roxane's has certainly been turning into my newest happy place. 




In other news, it's GAME DAY. 

Two sets of Bulldogs whom we love are playing. 

After winning their first two games against Madison and Snake River, Willie's SHS girls varsity squad is playing for the championship of the East Idaho Holiday Shootout tournament in Idaho Falls.


They'll tip off against Pocatello at noon PST today. The Bulldogs are now 11-1 while Pocatello's comes into the game at 9-4.

Later,  the San Diego State Aztecs (10-2) come to McCarthey Athletic Complex in Spokane to face the Gonzaga Bulldogs (9-3, ranked 13th). 

Tip off is at 6 p.m. PST. on ESPN2.

GO, ZAGS!!!

Happy Friday.  

 



No comments: