Thursday, May 02, 2024

This and That and Throwbacks





My towels are doing well. 

Overnight, they saved my marigolds from further destruction from the frost. 

They were bitten lightly the night before, so I added the towels to protect them. 

Hoping it's the last time towels are needed for the garden. 

I think we may be able to start to consider bringing out a few items from the greenhouse. 

I have learned to keep it to a minimum when putting out plants early. If those plants live, more can come to join them. 

In the meantime, I've had to satisfy my need to plant by sticking yard ornaments in the ground.  The best part of that practice is that they don't have to be watered and, except for some fading paint, they live forever. 

This morning while I was in the barn, loading the cart with hay for the horses, Willie Nelson was singing and telling us all that he was "on the road again." 

One lyric in his timeless song stood out to me on this particular morning. 

For no particular reason, "seeing places I may never see again" resonated more than usual. 

Earlier, I had been picking out throwback photos for this day's post, and, in some cases I simply got lost in time as I looked the photos and thought about each respective event. 

That's when it dawned on me just how important it is to visually record the events and experiences and the people in our lives. 

So, while walking down the lane and watching Bridie go after her ball, I thought about once more making the pitch for how important photography is in our lives. 

These days we get to see the previous moment instantly with our digital photography, and then we get to show others our special moments. 

But the lasting value of photography comes years later when we happen on to a pictorial memory of an event or a person we once knew who is no longer with us. 

It's downright emotional, to say the least, and to reflect on the wonders of that time and that moment which we etched into permanence. 

I just viewed some photos on Facebook, posted by a student whom I had in one of my classes several years ago.  

He wasn't happy in school.  I learned that while walking down the hall one day during my week on noon duty. 

The opportunity gave me a chance to learn about his life and his desires outside my classroom. 

In his case, he would have preferred to be on some mountain filled with snow than sitting in my English class or someone else's math class. 

I gained an empathy for him during our noontime conversation.  I also think he and I learned during that moment to appreciate each other in a different way than what we had experienced in our teacher-student classroom relationship. 

His behavior improved, and I occasionally saw him outside of class and asked him about his love for snow boarding. 

This student's photos today, which featured an experience he was able to have in the high mountains of Alaska, hiking, boarding and working as a guide, told me immediately that he is truly in his element all these years later AND enjoying every minute. 

Viewing the photos also gave me a sense of personal satisfaction as a teacher that this young man knew his niche in life, pursued it and that he is happy and proud. 

Once again, photography and videography told a story that would take thousands of words and often too much time. 

The snap of a button and the story is there, forever, if we wish through photography. 

So, when you view today's photos, imagine the emotions they brought to my mind by happening on to them.  And, for many who may recognize the couple who just turned 95 and 96 this week or the women honored several years ago as Women of Wisdom or even some of your family members or friends---I hope the image brings alive some great memories for you. 

Enjoy. 

And, pleae do take more photos.  

Also, if you are the subject in a photo who would rather not participate, think of what that photo could mean to you and to those you love years later. 

Photos do have the magic of taking us to places we may never see again. 


💚💜💓💕💖💜💙












Thursday Throwbacks . . . .
























 



No comments: