Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Tuesday This and That

 



They never stay long, but when they come, it's a momentous occasion. 

Such pretty birds the waxwings are!

This is the second time we've had a visit this year. 

This time, however, I saw only two of the birds flitting from one berry clump to another in the service berry bush. 

For some reason, their characteristic shyness does allow them a little flexibility for picture-taking. 

And, this time with the colorful berries and green leave, the birds were prettier than ever. 

I hope they come again. 


This has been a banner mountain bachelor-button year.  The blossom count in our front-lawn flower beds is about three times the usual from past years. 

And, the best part of this cooler weather in June:  most of the flowers have kept their beauty for longer than usual. 

The alternating hot and cold spells have provided an advantage:  let things grow and then let them last. 

Not a bad situation for those of us who love our flowers. 


Over the years here at the Lovestead and through continued observation, I have come to notice definite patterns with our birds who stay here during the summer. 

Apparently before they arrive, someone puts out a map of each area where they will spend the summer and assigns spots for the birds' territory. 

Over the past few years, I've noticed that a small number of crows occupy the board fence area and keep track of the horses. 

This year's observing experiences added to my knowledge of the birds' habits. 

That crow on the fence keeps close watch when the horses are in Pasture No. 1.  When I lead the horses in at night, I often seen the crow hanging around. 

Two nights in a row I caught on to the pattern:  when the last horse leaves the pasture, there's gonna be grain residue on the ground where I give them their hand out.  

Once the horses are gone, it's supper time for the crow.  If I happen to come around and interrupt its dinner, the crow immediately flies off to a tree in the woods across the pasture. 

This is the fun of living in the country where the birds and other beasts of nature like to hang out. Once we start recognizing their patterns, we can receive our own entertainment while watching their routines. 

I'm guessing that all living beings must have some kind of routine, and I know for sure with my horses, my dogs and myself, when the routine is altered, we often have a hard time adjusting.    



You'll see a definite contrast in the messages of  following two links. 

Like the author of the Daily Bee letter, I've been to the dump/transfer station since the change, and I, like the writer, am curious as to why someone decided to "reinvent the wheel" of local garbage disposal.

As for Malin, we drive through this lovely little Donegal town when we stay at the Seaview Tavern B and B in Malin Head.

Every time I go to Ireland I think we could all do better in tidying up and showing collective pride in our communities. 

How about a "Tidy Town" contest for Idaho? 

And, how about bringing the dumpsters back?

Both would enhance our lives. 


 



It's a good day for the dogs when the farrier comes. 

Steve came yesterday and reshod Lily while trimming Lefty and CB's hooves. 

That meant a dozen prime pieces of hoof for Foster and Bridie to chew on. 

So, they'll be happy every time they go to the lane cuz that's where they'll find the treasures. 

We're going to try a new experience with Foster and Bridie today.  They'll spend a few hours in day care at the Ponderay Pet Hotel. 

The hope is that when Bill and I want to go some place overnight, they'll stay in the total safety of the hotel. 

We're hoping they like the new experience. 

Stay tuned. 

Happy Tuesday. 








No comments: