Monday, August 12, 2024

Monday Mutterings

 



I was turning around on Selle Road to go back and snap a photo or two of some handsome mules hanging out in a gully beside the road. 

As I pulled into a driveway, a large bird came flying over.  It landed on the end of a cross-country ski near the driveway. 

Upon seeing the landing, I forgot about the mule. 

After all, how many times do we see an owl in broad daylight? 

I've heard a lot of owls and probably the last time I actually saw one was a few decades ago. 

So, this sighting was exciting.  

Fortunately, the owl didn't seem to anxious to move, and that allowed me to get my camera ready.  

I shot through the wind shield because I didn't want to take the time to step outside the car and maybe miss a chance at a photo. 



It was a truly thrilling event to see this owl and especially to have it remain on its perch long enough for me to take some pictures. 

When it eventually flew off and landed in a tree not too far away, I finished turning around and drove back to take some mule pictures. 

In my travels last evening, I also saw a mama turkey with her young ones.  

It seems a little late in the summer for them to be that small, but we know that nothing seems to be following its usual cycle this summer.






While sitting in a rocking chair next to the window and watching the Olympics yesterday, both the squirrel and the camera took my eye. 

The camera is my first ever.  I received it for Christmas when I was about 10 years old, which makes it well over 60 years of age. 

I actually took a lot of pictures with the camera, back in the days when we had to be careful to load the film properly and to make sure the loose end was firmly connected to its spool. 

There were times when that didn't happen, and several photos would be taken without the film in its proper place. 

The camera was about as "point and shoot" as it could get.  When I look at some of the snapshots taken by this Brownie Holiday camera, I regret not having any photo instruction. 

That was back in the day when Kodak made lots of money on film rolls filled with bad pictures. 

It didn't matter about quality or lack thereof, we would pay the same price for the processing of a batch of pictures.

 



The Olympics have ended, and what a spectacular two weeks of sporting events and fierce competition for all of us to enjoy. 

We, here in the Inland Northwest, can be very proud of Gonzaga coach Mark Few who helped coach the gold medal men's Basketball team. 

One can only imagine the thrilling moments he enjoyed while coaching the team and watching them win in a highly competitive set of games. 

Congratulations, Mark Few.  

We are proud of you.  

And, now, it's back to GO, ZAGS!

Annie has gone back to Seattle where she'll stay the rest of the week before flying to Paris and then moving on to Western France to start her Camino.

I told her when she went out the door that the next time we'd see her would be in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. 

It felt exciting to say that, and it is exciting to think about it. 

We just have to let time pass and get everything in order before that happens.

It's looking like a quiet and cooler day on what would have been my mother's 103 birthday. 

As always, she is dearly missed.   

Happy Monday. 














I love the picture above of our family's lake adventure on Saturday, so had to post it.
 







No comments: