Thursday, September 26, 2024

Gratitude and Excitement; Home and Abroad


Before posting any reports of our most recent day of adventure, ()saying good bye to Spain and hello to Portugal, I want to talk about North Idaho, USA, specifically Selle Valley where we live. 

Have I ever before said in this blog how much I love our neighborhood and especially our neighbors?  

Let me shout it out. 

Early this morning, I looked at my phone beside the bed, as I always do during nights when we travel. 

I saw two notifications of two attempts to contact us, made by our next-door neighbors, Shawn and Becky. This is more than just a casual call, I immediately thought.  

Once I reached them, they told me why.  

For those outside our area, we had an intense storm tornado-like storm blow a path through where we live.  

One resident observed that it blew from Schweitzer Mountain in the Selkirks to Pend Oreille Peak in the Cabinets about 15 miles east of us.  

The storm, lasting about half an hour, caused countless big trees to fall over powerlines and a general mess everywhere in its path. 

When it was deemed somewhat safe, Becky came over to our Lovestead to assess any damage.  Happily, besides the live powerline next to our driveway, our buildings are okay. 

Our other neighbors to the south, let me know this morning that they saw no damage but will check when it's morning in Idaho to make sure. They will also notify my sisters to check the power to the refrigerator and freezers. 

Lots of limbs and a ladder near the apple tree fell down. Also, the old TV antenna attached to our house came down.  

Other than that, no damage to any buildings.  Our sisters, Barbara and Laurie will probably walk the woods to see if there is anything substantial there. 

I have also heard that everything seems to be okay at Roxane's where our horses are boarded and am assuming that the doggies at the Ponderay Pet Lodge are okay. 

Meanwhile huge trees just to our north and at the Meserve Preserve came down. Basically, it's a mess but the good part is knowing that your neighbors care, especially when you are thousands of miles away. 



We knew when we left that road paving and construction would offer a new scene when we come back home, but with the loss of so many other trees in the storm, I can't imagine the shock of our immediate neighborhood being so transformed---from Mother Nature and from the planned work of humans. 

I do, however, know that through all this, one thing remains constant:  wonderful neighbors and family members  watching out for others.  

It's both beautiful and gratifying.  Thanks to all once again for caring. We appreciate you so much.

💜💛💚💙💖💓


Meanwhile in Portugal . . . 




We experienced a mostly wet day yesterday while driving from Spain into Portugal. 

It was a warm rain which occasionally got serious, but, fortunately, it did not stop us from enjoying several stretches of sight seeing and taking in the culture. 

One aspect of Portugal that has become immediately apparent:  we have encountered more English-speaking clerks and servers in our first experiences. 

We'll be the first to admit that such a situation makes it much easier.  It was fun watching Bill and a pharmacist in Spain communicating about what kind of cold medicine he may need.  Lots of fake coughs and fingers pointing at lungs and noses to determine that he did not have nasal congestion. 

The medicine seems to have helped him enjoy a more restful night.

We walked partway across a bridge in the rain, just so we could say that we could put one foot in Spain and the other in Portugal. 

We did some shopping at Fado, a souvenir shop at an old fort inside the Portuguese border.  I was quite proud to recognize the Fado music which is prominent in the country. 


Some studying before the trip made me almost immediately aware that I was listening to Fado.  The clerk noted that Fado was also the name of the store.

Portugal is the cork capital of the world, and it is truly amazing how many attractive items are made with cork.  Souvenir alert:  ya might get some if you're on my list. 

I have been taking two different antibiotics while on the trip.  Not fun, but the regimen ended, and last night I was able to enjoy my first glass of wine in several days.  

And, for the first time in as many days, my hamburger and fresh-made potato chips (best I've ever tasted) at Ribeiro Brewery in a Portuguese coastal town of Viana do Costela seemed to agree with my digestive system.  Nice to be feeling human again.  

Am looking forward to the first cup of coffee in several days also. 

Thanks again to the docs who were SO instrumental in helping me make this trip. I can now say that it was nip and tuck and that, for a short period, I thought I would not be able to participate.  Modern medicine has come to the rescue. 

Today we definitely are going to Porto.  Annie is the trip advisor, so I posted the wrong itinerary yesterday.

She has prepared us for walking a lot of uphill and a lot of downhill once we reach what she considers one of the neatest cities in the world---and Annie has seen many of them. 

So, enjoy the photos while we remain grateful that we have guardian angels at home in our neighborhood allowing us to continue enjoying this adventure of a lifetime. 

Happy Thursday.  


 













It's what you think it is:  a toilet lid.  

The Portuguese know how to promote fun, even in the WC's. 

Marianne has always appreciated a good commode, especially when they are funny. 


















I like the Kamala Converse Chucks, but I wouldn't mind a pair of these bejeweled tennies. 













We have learned firsthand that the Portuguese have washers but not dryers. 

So, it's the old clothespins and drip dry method. 

Below, when you try to dry your clothes out the window and it rains, the process takes a bit longer. 












No comments: