Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Summer Scenes and Snippets

 



The lake looked pretty wild and woolly yesterday afternoon, with big waves rocking and emphatically slapping the shore.

And, of course, forest fire smoke added a dull dimension to the overall beauty of the lake and the mountains. 

This morning the air is still pretty hazy, and with no rain forecast for several days, we may not see much improvement of air quality for a while.

In other news, this day has gotten off to a busy start for Miss Bridie.  As we took our early morning walk through the hay field, she unknowingly spooked a critter in the deep grass. 

The coyote leapt to it feet and raced across the field toward the lodgepole pasture.  Bridie took off in hot pursuit.  

Then the coyote turned around and started back her way.  I think I even heard Bridie yelp a time or two as she ran as fast as she could.  Thankfully, the coyote veered off another direction and ran into the Meserve Preserve. 

That incident kept Bridie on a steady watch and a continuous barkfest most of the way back to the house. 

When I took her out the second time to do chores, she immediately assumed her Border Collie position, with eyes intent on something. 

The "something" happened to be two deer standing next to the barn.  One was nipping away at the Virginia Creeper next to the barn door. 

Bridie does not chase deer.  She simply crouches down and slinks slowly toward them until they leave. 

These deer weren't in much of a hurry but eventually made their way to the woods. 

The word is out that the garden produce is coming on strong, so I think Bridie may be busy with her vigilance over the next several days.    




I saw these fine folks yesterday while taking photos at the Trestle Creek Recreation area. 

Retired local veterinarian John Moody and his wife Ginny were out enjoying a drive.  

We had a wonderful but brief visit. 
 



The event above was held for the first time last year, and it was a great success as a fundraiser and a really fun evening.  

With a newly purchased headquarters set to open this fall, the food bank will have more needs than ever as it makes the transition to a larger facility.

Check with the Bonner Community Food Bank for more information. 



******* 

Speaking of fundraising for the Bonner Community Food Bank, the article below appeared in today's Daily Bee.  Looks like an entertaining way to help raise funds AND in a beautiful setting.
 










We have reached that point in the summer:  the Festival at Sandpoint opens tomorrow. 

A busy time in Sandpoint, and it looks like great weather ahead for all the concerts. 




Peter, our neighbor, has been working long hours in the fields lately, harvesting and delivering hay. 




Luke and Foster are becoming friends.  

Luke comes over with his mom and sister who work their horses in our round pen. 

I think Foster is quite happy to have a nice new friend. 



Yesterday I liked seeing the window with the hometown and neighborhood familiarity to our attorney's office door. 

Adam, who's acting as our attorney, is the youngest of the three generations of Sandpoint attorneys named Finney.  

Grandpa Gary Finney and I are classmates. 

I taught both members of the second generation, John and Rex. 


















No comments: