Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Tuesday This and That

 




I parked in downtown Sandpoint yesterday and actually found an open spot just two doors down from Sawyer's Bakery.  

My goal was to pick up some of Becky's baked goods to bring home for our current guest. 

It turned out that Sawyer's is closed on Monday's, but Becky was there doing prep work for the week ahead. 

I told her I'd be back on a day when she was open and when I still didn't have to worry about getting a parking fine. 

Parking is free in downtown Sandpoint now and, until the City Administration figures out what to do next about the new parking plan.  Its confusing launch has led to downtown stores losing significant business, which of course, means dollars lost. 

My trip to town was hardly in vain, however, with Sawyer's being closed.  

I actually experience a delightful mini adventure while walking from my car to Sawyer's. 

I met Rachel Turcotte, who reports for KHQ-Channel 6 in Spokane.  Yesterday she was on the First Avenue sidewalk interviewing people about the parking situation in Sandpoint. 

She wondered if I'd like to be interviewed.  I said no because she couldn't remove my wrinkles and because I was more thrilled about meeting another journalist than talking about downtown parking. 

So, she was happy to listen to my parking opinions AND talk journalism. 

Rachel, who's from Edmonds, Wash.,  recently graduated from WSU. 

As people came by, eventually Rachel found a willing participant, Marilyn Dalby Sabella, owner of Eve's Leaves.  

Marilyn had definite opinions about the parking situation so she was happy to talk to Rachel. 

Rachel and I exchanged contact information, and I think we'll keep in touch. 

As always, it was fun to add a new friend, especially one we can watch on TV every night. 

Since Becky had no baked goods, I walked across the street to the Bluebird Bakery and picked up a loaf of their wonderful rosemary-flavored bread. 

And, this morning, my guest and LONGtime friend Susie "Sky" Baldwin has enjoyed a slice toasted and slathered with homemade jelly.

Susie, as I call her, is here until tomorrow morning.  She lives in Colorado and is on her way to a family reunion in Big Fork, Mont.  

So, in addition to a day where our friends with horses across the fence came over to work in the round pen and Susie's arrival, it's was a busy but fun time. 

Today will be the same. 

Later this morning, I'm receiving the prosthesis to help my ankle tendon heal.  

We're also meeting our mutual friend Chris for lunch and then will probably visit into the night, with talk about horses, family, our mutual "golden age" situations and life in general. 

The two of us have much from the past to dredge up and even more individual experiences of our adult lives to share, so it's gonna be a good time. 

Enjoy the photos, and, Rachel, keep up the good work. 

See you on my TV.

Happy Tuesday.  




Leslie and Faith came over yesterday and worked horses in the round pen. 



Rachel spent some time talking to this couple about Sandpoint's new parking plan. 

Below:  she interviewed Marilyn Dalby Sabella. 




A selfie with Rachel at the button. 


Becky Sawyer, owner of Sawyer's Bakery on First Avenue in downtown Sandpoint.  

It's located in the old Image Maker. 


While hanging out on First Avenue, I even saw my friend Becky and some of her family members. 

Becky told me that she and the visitors are headed to Glacier today. 




Susie "Sky" Baldwin enjoying some fresh blueberries and raspberries for breakfast.

She and her family lived at the red house on what's now the Bonner County Fairgrounds.  They stayed in Sandpoint for five years before her father Dick was transferred with the U.S. Forest Service to Missoula. 

We rode the roads on our horses during much of that time.  










No comments: