It's Bonner County Fair week.
The fair officially begins tomorrow, but a visit yesterday revealed that preliminary activities are in full swing, especially judging of items and booths in the main exhibit building.
There was not one animal to be seen yesterday. I learned that element of the fair would be very different an hour after I planned to leave.
Fat steers, chickens, goats and whatever other animals were due to start rolling in around 4.
Having another errand to do, I chose not to wait.
My next stop at Miller's Country Store led to a nice visit with former Idaho Rep. Mark Sauter, his wife and her brother. As they enjoyed ice cream cones, we talked about politics. I enjoyed meeting Jane Sauter (not to be confused with the candidate) and learned that she is a retired educator who taught middle school and high school students as well as Boise State students learning to be teachers.
It was a fun time.
Bill and Annie were fishing at Pack River and we planned a trip to Ice House Pizza for dinner, so I headed home and brought up the horses.
Yesterday was a horse day here at the place as Leslie and Faith and the boys came over with two of their three horses to work in the round pen. I think Faith may also spend some time riding the trails around our woods.
The Ice House experience was delightful as ever. I took along a lactaid pill so I could enjoy some pizza. While sitting on the upper deck, we all enjoyed the mesmerizing view of beautiful Lake Pend Oreille.
We also met and visited with the folks at the table next to us.
When the word "geocaching" was mentioned and we had learned that the family has geocached, Annie handed over one of her geocaching lackey medals to a very thrilled young man.
After they left another family took their place. This one lives just down Selle Road from us, so that was fun.
Overall, another great day as the summer of 2026 continues to wind down.
Annie leaves today to drive back to Seattle, and Bill and I might attend the herding exhibition at the fair tonight.
Lots of fun stuff happening during this FAIR week.
Happy Tuesday.
I've known this pair for a LONG time through horses, kids and dogs with Gail and the old neighborhood with Karen.
Gail's definitely a Bonner County Fair staple.
Former Idaho Rep. Mark Sauter, his wife Jane and her brother from Meridian.
Faith is working Johnny while her brothers Luke and Zane watch.
While we're looking at horses, a blast from the past in today's Bonner County Daily Bee:
A couple of photographers judging photography: Amy Peterson and Lisa Ailport.
The fair theme this year centers around America's 250th birthday and Bonner County fair descendants.
Barb Crumb, a retired English teacher from Sandpoint High, was working with this young judge who's grandmother Susan Bristow worked and competed in the fair flower department for decades.
Susan passed away this year, so it was neat to see her granddaughter stepping into her shoes.
As always, the pizza at the Ice House was great, and so far, especially after I took my lactaid pill and then picked out the peppers, my pizza has not started any arguments with my gut. Fingers crossed.
It's always nice to occasionally eat stuff that has some different flavors.
There's a blackberry bush across from the Hope Hotel which is loaded with beautiful berries.
The beautiful Hope Hotel, home to B's Beacon Restaurant, has been adorned with some extra elegance this summer.
Barb Crumb and Sandy Ross at work in the flower department at the fair. Both are former local educators.
He's an "outlaw" to our family.
His sister Mary is married to my brother Mike.
Jim and the other tractor folks have an amazing exhibit at this year's fair.
Tough job judging cookies, but someone's gotta do it.































No comments:
Post a Comment