Thursday, October 01, 2026

Ireland 2026; Day Seven

 




Do scroll along with this beautiful Irish classic:  the "Fields of Athenry." 


We did not make it to Dingle yesterday but did spend some quality time walking the extensive and beautifully groomed grounds of Muckross House near Killarney Lake  where Queen Victoria spent some of her “royal” quality time.

It was a beautiful day after the wild storm on Tuesday.  Both of us tended to some errands here in Kenmare. Bill did another wash, so we’re doing great in the “clean clothes” department.  There’s a laundromat right next door. 

Bill has always been a laundry man, so I’m sure the proximity does his heart good.

We’ll be off to Clifden soon and that means most of the day in the car, but we’ll go through Adair and the outskirts of Galway as well as through “the fields of Athenry.”  It’s a pretty trip with lots to see, so we’re looking forward to the drive.

Bill also did some shopping here in Kenmare, as did I.  My experience took me to the street market where I met the nicest story teller and pen craftsman named Sean O’Ceannabhain. 

He has the website for Killarney Pens.

https://killarneypens.com/

Sean uses ancient Irish woods for crafting his pens.  Being married to a forester who always admires beautiful wood, I hit paydirt with Sean.  

Bill is very difficult when it comes to the gift department because, after careful selection,  he always buys whatever he needs.

So when I found this nice man and his pens at the Kenmare street market, I felt a sense of excitement and relief that, at long last, I had found a gift the Bill would appreciate, especially with the history involved with each species of wood.

I could have visited with Sean all day, and I must say that we hit numerous topics, including his family background with Connemara ponies. 

Sean, who also trains Irish Setters, told me that his grandfather once rode a stallion bareback for several miles with seven other stallions tethered behind.  Whenever someone wanted to buy a horse on his equine pilgrimage, he sold one of the stallions.  

I also learned why yew trees are planted in Irish cemeteries and that in the past most every family in Connemara had a pony, which explains the huge five-day sale Willie, Debbie, Bill and I attended in Clifden last fall.

In my walking around town, I also encountered Clifton who was one of the singers at the Brewhouse the night before.  He’s a Kenmare native who now lives in Italy.  Clifton told me he was home on a visit.

Speaking of entertainment, Bill and I capped off our last night of live music last evening at the Brew House, listening to multi-talented Danny  Sweeney and Tracy O’Grady who is an amazing, award-winning fiddle player.

Tracy remembered me from last year, and Danny knew I liked “Country Roads” from his gig a few nights before.

So, it was truly a grand finale to our four days in Kenmare.  We also said good bye to Vince and his buddies at P.F. McCarthys and lamented not having a chance to see Mary.  Next time!

So, that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it---a truly wonderful last day in one of our favorite spots in Ireland. 

Thank you, Rosemary and Regina, our hosts here at the cottage behind the Purcell Gallery. 

Rosemary, a self-taught artist and retired marine biologist, also owns the gallery, while Regina, a trained chef, helps her out.

We love this cottage and feel like we need to make a reservation so we can come back next year.  Maybe that will happen.

For now, good bye September and Kenmare; hello to October as we head to the west coast of Ireland and more reconnections with wonderful people and places.

Happy Thursday.



Sean O’Ceannabhain



This man is from France. 

 He says this is his last week at the street market. 


























Dan Sweeney has the most flexible voice and a wide array of favorite musical offerings, be they Irish or worldwide. 

His partner in last night's gig at Kenmare Brewhouse, Tracy O'Grady, also offers exceptional talent and skill as she plays her fiddle. 































No comments: