Monday, October 05, 2026

Ireland 2026; Day Eleven

 



The ducks were not quite in a row for this photo op yesterday afternoon, but they were certainly an appropriate scene for the weather. 

When we first passed by the yard where they were watching, sleeping or grooming, I thought maybe they were statues.  

Each steadfastly held its position.  

When we drove back by the yard, I saw movement, so I knew they were ducks engaged in typical duck activity. 

When I stepped out of the car and walked toward them, a couple of ducks announced my presence.

But none of the other ducks seemed too concerned. 

They were simply enjoying life AND the rain. 

I was enjoying a rare moment spent outside the car in the somewhat miserable weather. 

Twas truly a day for the ducks in Donegal and definitely not one for the peeps!



It may come as a surprise, but sometimes days can be dull, even for visitors to Ireland. Yesterday was such a day for us as we spent most of our daylight hours in the car.

Plus, it was raining most of the time.  It was also raining when we arrived at our destination, the An Chuirt Hotel in Gweedor, County Donegal.


So, the highlight of the day, besides our good byes to John, Sue and Milla at Sharamore House, was our hello to Zoe, the desk clerk at this beautiful hotel overlooking a stream winding through a bucolic setting.

Zoe is an engaging and pleasant college student who expressed a bit of envy when she heard about some of the offerings at our Sandpoint High School back home. 

It was kind of fun to brag up the alma mater to an Irish grad.

The hotel is charming with its vast array of local art, all beautifully framed, and its rooms and rooms of beautiful comfy chairs.

Since walking outside was not too inviting with the rain and oncoming darkness, I strolled around the hotel, snapping photos of some its highlights.

Zoe told me that the place used to be a court house and, though you couldn’t see it now, underneath the facility were holding rooms for defendants waiting to have their moments in court.

We have not had any time to explore Gweedor, but I did learn a while back that some Irish music giants, including Enya and her sister the late Moya Brennan grew up here.  

Our server last night shared the general sadness that the country had recently lost Moya, often called the queen of Celtic music and known for the theme from "Last of the Mohicans."

Today we’ll visit Glenveagh National Park, which is the second largest national park in Ireland. The park is best known for its mountain scenery, extensive wilderness and Glenveagh Castle. It’s also known as a haven for nature enthusiasts.

So, I think we’ll fit the bill as avid visitors.  John Brittain told us that it’s a haven for some bird species not seen in other parts of Ireland.

We’ll end the day at another of our annual stomping grounds, the Seaview Tavern and B and B. The owners Caitriona and Michael won’t be there but Maura will.  We are excited to see her.

So, we’re headed toward the last segment of this wonderful trip.  Even with too much time in the car yesterday, our enthusiasm for this year’s experience is still overflowing with amazement and appreciation.

Stay tuned. 

We may be pulling out the rain gear today.  Hopefully tomorrow's post will bring you more outdoor photos of Ireland.

Thanks for coming along for the ride. I appreciate you more than you'll ever know. 

Happy Monday.













Magnify this image for a neat story about some followers of St. Patrick. 
















Since Enya and Moya Brennan are from Gweedmor, I'll leave you with some of their hauntingly beautiful music.

 




No comments: