Friday, June 01, 2012

TGIJ and TGIF


Well, yeah, Thank God It's June and Thank God It's Friday.  Of course, anyone who read yesterday's post can now know that I've made the cross over to the Big M (Medicare) unscathed.

And, of course, most working folks surrounding me are glad it's Friday, so I'm glad.  

My brother, who took a job later, once talked about retirement as the time of seven Saturdays a week.

I don't often think of it that way cuz it seems that every day is busy, no matter what the calendar says.  Still, ten years later, I'm happy to generally control my own schedule.

It was nice to turn all our calendars over to June this morning.  Of course, this is always my favorite month cuz of Bill's and my anniversary (38th this year) and my birthday.

I like my birthday no matter how old I am; well, at least for now.

We're getting some nice rain outside this morning.  I told Bill this is a great growing day cuz it's warm and wet.  

My garden already looks pretty well along for June 1, but I'm betting today will take it to more dramatic heights.

How many out there have experienced the feeling of thinking they have a pretty good garden, only to happen upon one that puts theirs to shame?

I had that experience the other day while driving up to Blume Lake (yes, I spelled it wrong the other day).  Remind me to tell the Sasquatch story about Blume Lake.

Anyway, there's this place along the road down in the valley with an old bus parked in a field.  Next to the field is a garden.

Those onions look like they had to belong to former Gov. Phil Batt, the onion king of the spud state.  

"How did they do that?" I thought while driving by.  On my way back, I slowed down to look again, in disbelief.

The garden is 20-plus miles NORTH of us, where it's supposed to be colder.   Some people just have the magic touch with their green thumbs, I guess.

In spite of that discovery, I'm still proud of my garden's progress and very proud that old-age patience kept me from putting plants from the green house into the ground too early. 

My cukes are still inside, but I'll probably stick them in the ground in the next day or so.  As for the green peppers, they may have to wait. 

This rain and the warm temperature will also give our pastures a healthy boost.  The two where the horses are currently grazing have to last until at least mid-July, so rotation and occasional rain storms should keep them in good shape until then.

Annie's heading off from Seattle this morning to Central Oregon where she'll be participating in the Wild Canyon Games.  She'll be teaching people how to use a GPS and participating in a triathlon.  

In the meantime, Debbie's headed back home from Olympia after taking some Girl Scout Gold Star recipients to their presentation ceremony.  We'll see her tonight.

And, Willie's happy this morning.  He received notification that he will be recommended for a five-year PT certification as a journalism teacher.  Plus, he says his numbers for next year's classes (photography, graphic arts, journalism and Cedar Post) are up.

This morning's paper featured his first Cedar Post editor and the Cedar Post editor who preceded her.  Jennifer Prendato and Chelsea Kardokus attend Ball State University in Indiana.

Their journalism group will be  going to London to cover the Olympics this summer.  What an opportunity and a great reflection on the long-respected Cedar Post program. 

Of course, Bill and I remain very proud of Willie, Annie and Debbie as they continue to contribute so positively in their careers.

Guess that's enough babble for now.  I don't have to water, so I think I'll do a little house cleaning----that's been amiss lately. 

Happy Friday and Happy June. 

Oh yeah, the Sasquatch story. I'll pass that along tomorrow cuz I hear company coming!

No comments: