Monday, October 26, 2015

Sunday Gas Run


Yup, today's collection shows what we have to look at when we go to the Samuels Store to fill up the lawnmower gas cans.  The dogs and I headed that way yesterday morning. 

It's tough duty, but someone's got to enjoy it.  


That's part of Filipowski's woods above, and the old barn sits toward the end of our 3-mile long road.  


I'm thinking this road has more pretty sights per capita than about any place I can think of 'cept maybe Dark Hedges in Northern Ireland where a stretch of maybe an eighth of a mile attracts "turists" from all over the world. 


The next batch of photos, as you scroll down to the picture of the lake with the road winding through, was captured behind the Samuels Store and gas station.  


Walsh Lake with the Selkirks in the background creates quite a lovely view for patrons of the convenience-store restaurant, especially in the summer when the outdoor deck is open. 


While the hustle and bustle of traffic pulls into the station for food, gas, boat tests and even the mobile library, Walsh Lake sits back behind amidst peace and serenity and, of course, stunning beauty. 


On my way back home with three full gas cans, I took a couple of photos next to HWY 95 at Colburn.  I'm hoping my friend Helen will like today's assortment because I know she appreciates a good stand of tamarack aka larch when it turns golden on the mountains late in the fall. 


Those trees are putting on a pretty good show this year. 


The cows in front of the golden backdrop are Filipowski's Herefords over at the Leedy place.  On down, roadside birches grab attention in front of Ann Coward's field.


I managed to tolerate my trip to the gas station yesterday, albeit a little slower than usual, thanks to all the camera stops.


Yesterday was a day filled with little outdoor projects.  


Well, actually, the dog kennel up by the house kept me busy for a couple of hours, cutting dozens of service berry branches that have poked me and messed up my hair numerous times during my gardening in the little plot around the kennel. 


Many were hauled off to the woods, as were hundreds of little round, brown leaves that had fallen from the bushes.  


It will be nice in the spring to sit down on the bricks and do my gardening without getting poked in the eye.


One aspect that I will miss next year at the kennel and for all years to come are the frequent face lickings from a wiggly, loving black-and-white visitor who always showed up during my weeding sessions.  Yes, Miss Kea, I thought about you a lot yesterday.


We're doing better on that front, but memories of joyful times are everywhere on this place for us, including the wood pile down the lane where Bill spent part of his afternoon also thinking about Kea. 


That was another favorite spot for her and her buddies to play with Bill while he chopped or stacked wood. 

I was thinking yesterday about how death comes in the fall to foliage and flowers, in preparation for a complete regeneration in the spring. 


I wish that were the case with the people and pets that we love and lose. 


Guess that fits in the "life isn't fair" category.


Back to the positive:  we had some rain last night, and maybe outdoor work will not be quite so dusty today.  I was amazed at how difficult stirring up the dirt around the kennel was yesterday because it has turned downright solid from no moisture.


We could use more rain, and it looks like we might get some by week's end.  The ponds and creeks and garden beds are definitely thirsty.  


Happy Monday. 

































3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tamaracks were equally beautiful yesterday out Gamlin Lake way. And out every window here in town we see yellow, gold, red and crimson among the greenery. It's just been a glorious fall - especially for photographers like you. Helen

Dr. John said...

These photos are making me VERY homesick, as such gorgeous Autumn photos can .
Is is just me, or is this an "over-the-top" brilliantly colored Fall?
I want to visit NOW!
Thanks for keeping me up to date.
J.

Unknown said...

Hi, Marianne, as always, your photos are stunning. I am writing a blog post about the October light (and John Gardner's idea of "moral fiction") and I would like to use a couple of your photos (with due credit, of course). Would you be okay with my using them?

Bill Percy