Thursday, October 26, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Trick or Treat Memories




When you've been a teacher for at least a third of your life and you retire, believe it or not, you kinda miss the interaction with those kids. 

Along with a few volunteer situations at various schools, Halloween has helped me get my kid fix over the past 16 years, especially since we moved out here to Selle. 

We don't get many trick or treaters here, and that makes Bill happy cuz that means all the more Kit Kat's, Reece's peanut butter cups and Milky Way mini bars for him.

When trick or treating ends, he usually has supply enough of the sweets to last a week or so. 

I have grown to love our country version of Halloween because, as the years go by, this annual event has provided me the opportunity to watch many of our regulars grow up into phenomenal young adults. 

There's one trick or treater in the photos below who recently completed a month-long trip to Europe---all by himself.  When he returned, I saw him showing one last fat steer at the Bonner County Fair. 

Others have gone on to college and into chosen professions. Through their examples, they are making a positive difference in this world. 

In one photo, you'll see a female football player, one of my horse Lefty's new best friends and a mom who helps people get better when they're ill AND saves lives. 

There's one who almost earned some "Trick or Treat" demerits when she acted kinda shy and stand-offish when I said hello to her at a neighborhood work day.

Both her mom and I gave her a rough time that day, including a reminder of how much candy she gets to grab out of the Lovestead bowl each year. 

From that moment forth, every time I've seen her, I gotten the biggest bear hug possible.  I think she has earned back her extra Kit Kats----much to Bill's dismay. 

And, of course, there's one rather dated trick or treat photo, taken long ago, when some siblings of mine were all decked out for their night of knocking on doors and hoping for good hand-outs. 

Yes, Halloween is really fun out here in the country, especially cuz our tricker treaters are all special and pretty amazing young people. 

Their masks or costumes may temporarily hide who they are for the annual goblin night, but I also know that, within, they've also got the "right stuff," along with all that sugar.

And, one more thing, since it's jack-o-lantern season, I've included my "Best Damn Pumpkin Dessert, Period" recipe this morning.  

Enjoy, the photos.  Happy Thursday.   


















Best Damn Pumpkin Dessert, Period!

CRUST:

1 Box of yellow cake mix (Reserve 1 cup and set aside)
Add to the cake mix 1 melted stick of butter or margarine, 1 beaten egg, and ½ cup of chopped walnuts. Mix well. Spread mixture in a 9x13 greased baking pan.

FILLING:

Mix together: 1 large can of pumpkin, 4 beaten eggs, ½ cup of brown sugar, ½ cup sugar, 2/3 cup of Evaporated milk, 2 ½ tsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp of nutmeg, ¼ tsp salt. Spread the filling over the crust.

TOPPING:

Mix together until crumbly: the reserved 1 cup of cake mix, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup of walnuts, ½ stick of softened butter or margarine. Crumble the topping over the filling.

Bake @ 350 for 50-60 minutes. Cool and serve with whipped cream on top.

Now that I've passed along Sue's recipe to all of you and since Bill is probably downstairs scooping up the last of the Best Damn Pumpkin Dessert, Period, I'd better hurry to town and grab my share of yellow cake mix before Yoke's runs out.


While on recipes, to my sister-in-law Joyce who asked about the quick and easy applesauce cake.  

Just get the spice cake mix from the store.  Instead of water, pour in a cup of applesauce.  

I added a pinch of apple pie spice. Also, add walnuts and raisins to your liking. 

Top it with a can of store-bought cream cheese frosting:  YUM!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this just last week! However I split it into 3 smaller aluminum cake pans that I picked up at the dollar store so we could enjoy it over the next few weeks. I cooked them just the same as if it were in one pan, then we ate one early last week, I froze the other two and yesterday I got one out of the freezer in the morning and it had thawed in time for after dinner! Scrumptious as the first one and the topping even stayed crunchy which is the best part! I have been making this dessert since I first saw it on here a few years back, it is delicious! My family now always requests that I make this instead of pumpkin pie for our all-family turkey day get togethers! Thank you again!!!