Friday, June 08, 2018

Death of Icons








Yesterday I visited briefly with Virginia Wood at the Co-Op Country Store parking lot.  Among the topics we discussed was Francis McNall.

"He's not doing well," she said, noting that he HAD celebrated his 100th birthday.  

Of course, Virginia would remember that special celebration.  Her son Steve is married to Francis' oldest daughter Louise.  

On the same day in January that Francis celebrated his 100th birthday, Steve and Louise attended his party and later came to Western Pleasure Guest Lodge to celebrate Virginia and her husband Jim's 70th wedding anniversary. 

So, to say there's a connection?  Understatement, indeed, especially because Virginia's nephew Bert is married to Francis' second oldest daughter Liz. 

After seeing Virginia and coming home to finish one more flower project near the deck, I decided to load up the dogs and go for a drive.  

For some reason, the Grouse Creek---Elmira loop seemed like a good idea.

The drive took me right past the McNall driveway where Grouse Creek comes flowing on its way south. I even stopped the car and took a picture.  

That's also the driveway to the home where our very first Border Collie, Miss Kiwi, was born. So, I guess you would say we have a McNall connection too. 

As Bill and I sat down watching the news and waiting for dinner to heat up, I read from an online site that James Francis McNall had died sometime during the day. 

I never knew his first name was James.  That all suddenly made sense since his oldest child and son is named James.  James and I grew up knowing each other through St. Joseph's Catholic Church and 4-H.

James/Jim always showed Shorthorns, while I showed horned Herefords. We also collaborated often as 4-H leaders over the years.  

Collaboration and knowing McNall children has been lifelong for me.  I never knew Francis very well.  He was the patriarch and beloved school teacher with a remarkable, crisp memory that stayed with him clear through to 100. 

And, his picture appeared on the "Today" show a few months back when he celebrated that century of fine living in rural Bonner County.  He had a lot to celebrate, especially his large and fine family. 

This morning my condolences go out to all of Francis' family members, definitely too numerous to think of them all. He led a good life.

Little did I know at the time why I chose to drive the Grouse Creek loop yesterday.  Now, I'm thinking Francis' spirit must have been at work. 

The drive was nice and rather uneventful, but the tiger lilies and honeysuckles are coming on strong and pretty.

Plus, the dogs seemed to enjoy themselves on this trip, and I'm wondering if Kiwi felt a little sense of doggie emotion as we passed by McNall's driveway.

To say Francis McNall was a community icon?  Another no brainer. He lived a good life, and his influence will go on through all those descendants for generations to come. 

Soon after reading of Francis' passing, I heard a sad statistic on "CBS evening News."  Suicide is fast climbing as a leading cause of death in the United States, having gone up 25 percent in a number of years. 

Staggering, I thought and then, of course, thought of the suicides I've known of personally over the past year.  

This week, I saw numerous Facebook posts where FB friends expressed great dismay after learning of fashion designer Kate Spade's death by suicide. 

As a "country hick," not too in tune with fashion trends, unless they're country stuff, the name was not a household word, but as I learned more about her fabulous success, which came after her husband had casually suggested that she try designing purses, I could understand the impact she had over those millions of women who select purses over fanny packs.

That knowledge helped me understand the loss of someone most of those folks had never met and probably never seen, kinda like we all felt when the world lost Princess Diana.

We don't even remotely know these icons, but they impact our lives in such a way that we still feel like we have a strong connection.

Well, this morning, I know firsthand how all those fans of Kate Spade felt earlier this week. 

In my usual scroll through Twitter to see what outlandish and insane insults are being tapped out on a White House cell phone, I saw a tweet that made me blink my eyes and look again. 

"NO!  NO! NO!"  I whispered out loud and then yelled down to Bill, "Anthony Bourdain is dead at 61 from suicide." 

I may not buy fashion purses, but I do lap up culture, food and travel.  Anthony Bourdain dished it out to me pretty much every Sunday night, right before "60 Minutes."

The last promotion I saw on TV before dozing off last night let me know that this coming Sunday's "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown" would be taking us to Berlin.

"That ought to be good," I thought, "better tell Willie and Debbie."  They may have an exchange student this year from Berlin, so I was sure they'd find this segment especially interesting. 

I have loved Anthony Bourdain because, like my daughter Annie who travels the world," he has brought the world to us vicariously and brilliantly.  

Relatively few people in the world have the privilege of traveling AND sharing."  Annie inspires us through her amazing photography and her constant vision of the next big trip. 

Anthony, a world renowned chef,  inspired me through his unique blend of telling the story, introducing us to the people and allowing our mouths to water or to go "EEEEUGH" when he sat down to dine with those people.

I guess this morning that the onus sadly falls on Annie to keep me inspired with the opportunity that lies out there in this world of ours.   

Such a loss.  Such an icon in my life and I know Annie's and millions of other admirers. 

RIP:  Anthony Bourdain.  So sorry you have left us. 

    

   

Let the following photos taken in Grouse Creek/McNall country be my tribute to Francis McNall and to his amazing living legacy. 




















No comments: