Friday, June 01, 2018

Raindrops on Roses and . . . .










Why's a painting of an old barn included in a bunch of photos of wet flowers? 

Well, let's just talk about this for a minute.  Yesterday's rainy day gave me time for reflection and to approach the daily activities at a relatively leisurely pace. 

And, because of that, I visited with more people than usual and just enjoyed taking in the world around me here at the Lovestead. 

One visit included a talk with my friend and editor Helen and an added thank you for the thank you.

"A thank you note handwritten, no less," I said as we talked about the card which arrived in Wednesday mail. 

My first response:  WOW in a text written to Helen.  The WOW has a double meaning in this case because it reflected my appreciation for the time and care she had taken to write a very personalized note to me, expressing thanks for my involvement with her celebration as a Woman of Wisdom aka WOW. 

So, it was WOW for the card, and WOW for the wise woman my friend Helen happens to be. 

There was frosting on the cake with this delightful mailbox surprise:  the card featuring a painting by my friend Judy Pederson, one of Sandpoint's talented artists AND this year's chosen artist for the Festival at Sandpoint poster.

Congratulations, Judy.  We are proud of you.  

Judy lived in the neighborhood where we used to live, and through that association and her love of old barns, we have one of her paintings in our living room of the old Harney dairy barn that served as a centerpiece for "the Upper Place" as we called it when our family owned the farm. 

I don't know if Helen knew how much I love Judy's artwork, but since Helen and I are both country girls, it didn't come as a surprise to see the card. 

I consider the card a gift because of Judy and especially because it represents what seems to be a dying trend: showing appreciation for any form of generosity of spirit. That generosity can come in material ways or intangible.

Whichever the case, when the recipient of any form of generosity takes the time to send a card, an email, gives a call or even just says "Thank you," it's becoming more magic to the ears than ever before.   

I told Helen that I considered her card the "ultimate thank you" because of the care she took to address her thoughts to me personally. 

Ultimate thank you's are especially nice these days, but even simple thank you's say a whole lot about an individual. 

I hope----that in this age of gutter behavior, mud slinging, mean-spirited gotchas launched at the highest, most public levels by individuals who are expected to be good examples----that our society can maintain and even revive some sense of decency, courtesy and respect as is exemplified in my dear friend's gesture. 

Such expressions of appreciation are priceless, as the two simple words of "thank you" are hands-down the most valuable words in our language.  

It takes very little time to utter or write them AND they definitely inspire folks to want to continue the spirit of giving to others. 

Finally, since the painting is titled "Weathered,"  I think it can fit in with my flower photos, which displayed some lovely examples of the beauty that Mother Nature continues to provide for us.  

She's not always mean and nasty, and yesterday's rain came at a perfect time for replenishing the farm fields and for adding an extra touch of loveliness with that gentle cleansing of the flowers.  

So, thank you, Mother Nature.  I admit that this is not hand written like Helen's card, but as noted before, a thank you in any form is always appreciated. 

















No comments: